An enthusiastic biomedical scientist with diverse interests. Fascinated by host pathogen interactions and microbial epidemiology. Experience from working as a medical microbiologist in the NHS and in a variety of roles in global biotechnology businesses.
David is a lecturer in medical microbiology for Biomedical science, Healthcare Science and Pharmacy courses at UClan. Dedicated to create an inspirational student experience David uses creative strategies to engage students and shares his passion for his subject running microbiology clubs dedicated to parasitology, antimicrobial resistance and outbreak investigation to stretch the talented and fascinate the curious students. David has published 39 papers with collaborators in public health on a range of topics from disinfection, molecular detection of pathogens, epidemiology and outbreak investigation.
David joined UCLan in 2018 to take his first full time academic role. Prior to joining UClan David worked in a variety of roles in multinational biotechnology companies ranging from product development leader, technical support, business development manager, regional marketing manager and commercial manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa regions. Prior to his commercial experience David worked for 22 years in the NHS as a registered Biomedical Scientist with specialist expertise in clinical diagnostic microbiology. Part of that time was spent working in the Public Health Laboratory Service investigating communicable disease and developing skills in epidemiology. David ran the Campylobacter Reference Laboratory and worked with collaborators around the world to understand the ecology and epidemiology of campylobacter infection. During this time, David gained a PhD from UCLan and served the University as a visiting Senior Lecturer teaching a specialist module in medical microbiology. David is a supportive tutor with high expectations that will help you convert your hard work to success and to achieve your potential.
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, 2019
- PGC in Secondary Education, Leeds Beckett University, 2018
- PGC in Immunology and Immunogenetics, Manchester University, 2015
- PhD in Microbiology, University of Central Lancashire, 1999
- Fellowship of the Institute for Medical Laboratory Sciences in Bacteriology, Manchester Metropolitan University, 1987
- HNC Biomedical Sciences (Microbiology), University of Central Lancashire, 1985
- BL1011 - Fundamentals of Biosciences
- BL2011 - Bioscience Practical Skills
- PJ1301 - Health and Disease
- PJ3300 - Systems-Based Patient Care 2
- Epidemiology of Campylobacter jejuni
- Antimicrobial resistance
- Investigation of outbreak of infectious disease
- Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences.
- Healthcare Professionals Council registered Biomedical Scientist.
- Chartered Scientist.
- Member of the Society for Applied Microbiology.
- Member of the Royal Society of Biology.