Welcome to UCLan Library Services - an inspirational and diverse learning environment. We promote and encourage independent learning, with support from staff and enabled by information and technology.
Our library teams support staff, students and researchers through online and physical environments.
We provide first line support, 24-hour access to safe study spaces, skills development and collection management.
Each school has a dedicated subject librarian, with specific resources dedicated to every course we offer. We have invested in digital resources for all our subjects, from art to veterinary medicine.
Our Ask Your Librarian service is available to all students who need support with finding academic information for their subject. We offer online and face-to-face appointments at both our Preston and Burnley campuses. Visitors are welcome to visit our Preston Campus library. You will find details of how to plan your visit on this page.
Visitors are welcome to use UCLan library (Preston Campus), and to consult library collections subject to showing the appropriate forms of identification at the reception desk. The different types of visitor access and forms of identification are outlined below.
Acceptable forms of ID
- Alumni card with passport or driving licence photo-card and proof of address
- Open University library card with photo. You will also need a letter on OU notepaper or registration form confirming enrolment
- NHS Trust ID badge with photo, plus passport or driving licence photo-card
- Public library membership card, plus passport, driving licence photo-card or work ID badge with photo, plus proof of date of birth (if this is not on the photographic ID)
- SCONUL access for HE staff and students – please see below
Please note any form of ID documentation has to be the original documents, screenshots or scans will be not accepted.
If you wish to visit, but do not fit into any categories outlined on this page, please contact us at least 2 working days in advance of your visit. You will be asked for proof of identity when you arrive at the Library. Please bring 2 forms of ID; one photographic and one with details of your current address.
Acceptable forms of photographic ID:
- Driving licence photo-card
- Work ID badge with photo
Acceptable proof of your current address:
- Recent bank statement
- Utility bill
UCLan Alumni Network members may access the library free of charge and borrow up to four books. However, use of computers and access to e-resources is not available, due to licensing restrictions.
Please visit the Customer Service desk, on the ground floor of the library, to get your free ID card.
Alumni will need to provide additional photographic ID (passport or driving licence) and proof of address (bank statement or utility bill) to be issued with a library card.
National Health Service Trust (acute, primary care, ambulance) members must bring the following:
- NHS Trust ID badge with photo and a passport or driving licence photo-card.