Frequently asked questions about studying abroad

Considering studying abroad as part of your degree? Take a look at our frequently asked questions and we'll answer any queries you have about studying abroad.

Frequently asked questions

From making friends for life to experiencing new cultures, there are plenty of great reasons to study a degree abroad. Benefits include:

  • Increased employability, studying abroad can enhance your CV
  • Improving your language skills 
  • You'll have the opportunity to meet a diverse range of people
  • Discover new and exciting foods
  • Study and learn differently
  • Gain independence and a greater knowledge of different cultures
  • See your own culture through a new lens

The experience of studying abroad will stay with you for a lifetime.

You can only study at a university that we have an exchange agreement with. The university you want to study at must also teach your course. The universities we have an agreement with are: 




Hong Kong





United Arab Emirates 


You must first meet with a study abroad advisor. They will go through the study abroad process, costs, deadlines and paperwork. You can request an appointment by emailing

When you email the team, please provide the following information:

  • Name
  • G number
  • What course you are currently on
  • What year you are
  • Where in the world you would like to study abroad?

This depends on where you go to study as living costs and accommodation can vary even within a country. If you are studying overseas for a full year, then you will get an 85% reduction in your fees. The 85% reduction applies to those funded through Student Finance England. Information is correct as of September 2022.

There may be funding available to you, you would need to check at the time of applying. You can still access your student loan if you get funded through Student Finance England. If you are funding through another source you will need to check with them directly. 

If you get funding through Student Finance England and you are studying overseas for a full year, you will get an 85% reduction in your fees.

You will need to check with who you apply to for your finance. Student Finance England students will still receive finance but will need to check how much they will receive.

Some of our partners may offer a scholarship. The Study Abroad team can confirm which partners offer this. Funding may be available from the Turing fund, the university must apply for this each year and is not guaranteed. 

Partner universities must work out how much it will cost you to live there for the year or semester. You must be able to show this figure before you get issued with the paperwork from the host university. You may be able to use your student finance loan letter. 

If you are going to a country and their first language is not English, you need to have the basic language skills. Even if the university teaches in English, you still need to have the basic language skills of that country. 

If you go as part of your degree then you would go in your second year. You would study the same modules that you would study in your second year at UCLan. If you are adding a year to your degree, then you would also go in your second year. If you are studying a language, you would go in your third year. 

If you are studying as part of your degree, then you would need to ensure that you match the modules that you would of taken at UCLan. If you are adding a year to your degree, then you would still need to take modules related to your course but could pick ones that are not available at UCLan.

This depends on your course. If you are studying year long modules, then no you would not be able to go for a single semester. You would not be eligible for the discounted fees if you only study abroad for a single semester.

We would need to check what degree you are studying. Most of our courses, except medical courses, are available to study overseas. All students – not just those from the UK can apply to study abroad. You would need to have the correct visa for studying overseas.

You would need to pass your study abroad year in order for you to progress into your final year. You must study a minimum of credits for your year abroad.

If you don't have the transcript for your first year to send to a partner university, an academic reference is required. This may also be a requirement of the host university. 

You will need a visa to study abroad. You must apply for the visa and the Study Abroad team can help you with this. You will have to pay for the cost of the visa. For cost details you would need to look on the relevant Embassy website for that country.

This depends on your visa and how many hours you would want to work. If your visa does allow you to work, it will be limited hours as your studies should be your priority.

If you are a Modern Language course or your course has semester-based modules this may be available to you.

You may be able to go for a single semester, but you will not receive a discount on your fees. If your modules are year long then you would not be able to go overseas for a single semester.

Yes, and you will require a reference. They will also need to authorise your modules.

Yes, you will need to attend all of your classes.

You must pass all your modules at UCLan. If you fail, you will be withdrawn from studying overseas.

You will receive a transcript with your grades on from your host university. Your time overseas will also be recorded on your transcript.

This depends on where you are going to study. There may be options for you to:

  • Stay in on-campus student accommodation
  • Stay in off campus student accommodation
  • Live in a home stay
  • Organise your own accommodation

Just like in the UK, all universities accommodation prices are different. In the USA you will pay for accommodation and meals. It also depends on if you have on campus accommodation, home stay or off campus accommodation. When you meet with a study abroad advisor, they will explain the options to you.

You will have basic cover with UCLan. Some countries will insist that you buy insurance from them. This can usually get done via the university, depending on the country you are going to. UCLan insurance does not cover existing medical conditions. You must check the cover of our insurance. 

There are potential risks regardless of where you study. You will attend a Risk Assessment workshop before you study abroad. Risks will get highlighted in the workshop. We would not send you anywhere that we felt was not safe. 

We would work with the wellbeing team, you and the host university to ensure that you receive support during your time studying abroad. The level of support may not be the same as UCLan. During your time overseas you'll have access to the UCLan student wellbeing team. 

This would depend on where you were going as not all countries offer the level of support that UCLan does. The study abroad team would work with you, the student wellbeing and the host university to ensure that you have the support and adaptations that you need. 

You should request a study abroad meeting with one of the advisors. At this meeting they will go through details of universities, courses, visa, finance and medicals. If you would like to proceed, an application form will get sent to you. This must get submitted by the 31st January. 

You can contact the study abroad team to see if you can submit a late application. If you have a particular university you would like to apply to, if your application is late then you may not get your choice.

We realise that most students get homesick in the first few weeks. We do try to supply you with information to help you get over the homesickness. If you are struggling you can contact student wellbeing team and they will support you.