Accommodation FAQs

Here you will find the answers to frequently asked questions about applying and living in our halls of residence. If you can't find the answer to your question below, please contact us.

Applying and paying for accommodation

You can apply through our easy to use online application service. You will need your UCLan Student Registration Number (this begins with a G) to apply for accommodation. You can apply at any time after we have opened our online application system as long as you have accepted a firm offer of a place on a course with us.

If we are your insurance choice you will receive information about applying for accommodation in August.

You will receive an acknowledgement email from us once we receive your application. We will do our best to match your requirements with what is available – we may call or email you if we require further information, particularly if you have indicated that you have a medical condition.

If you want to live with your friends, simply put their name down in the additional notes section of your application and ask them to do the same. As long as we have availability, we will fulfil your request.

If you are made a room offer in one of our owned or leased accommodations (including Sandygate Hall), and you are a UK student, you will need to make an Advance Rent Payment of £250 when you accept the offer.

This Advance Payment of Rent will be deducted from your October rent instalment. The balance of the rent is collected in 3 parts, usually in October, January and April.

International Students

  1. You may pay the total charge in full when you accept any room offer made.
  2. You may pay 25% of the total charge as an Advance Rent Payment to secure the room. The remainder of the total charge is due no later than 14 days after your arrival

The Advance Rent Payment will range from approximately £872 in Economy Standard rooms, to approximately £1279 in the highest-priced en-suite accommodation. The Advance Rent Payment for a self-contained 1 person flat would be around £1495. These prices are estimates based on the 2023/24 academic year.

Any offer of accommodation we may send to you will have a deadline for response, this deadline will be notified to you with any room offer made.

Congratulations on your room offer! You are under no obligation to accept a room offer, so please take the time to read your offer carefully.

It is important that you notify us of any concerns you might have with your offer before accepting it, as once you accept your offer you enter into a legally binding contract. If for any reason you are unhappy with your offer, you may reject it. Otherwise, please follow the steps online to review, accept and pay the Advance Rent Payment for your room offer.

If this is the case we will cancel your accommodation contract, and refund any payment made. Please contact us as soon as you are aware of this.

Guarantors for accommodation

All UK students who do not pay their rent in full will require a guarantor. Special arrangements are in place for students who are leaving the care of a local authority.

Your guarantor can be anyone who is over the age of 18, and who is willing to make payment of your accommodation fees. This is according to the obligations contained within the accommodation contract and conditions of residence which you agree to when accepting a room offer, if you should default.

You must gain consent from your guarantor before providing us with their personal details. Should you default in the payment of your rent or any other monies payable under the accommodation contract, your guarantor will be expected, upon written demand, to pay all outstanding amounts.

If, during your acceptance of a room offer, you do not pay your rent in full you will be asked to provide the name and email address of a guarantor. Once you have completed acceptance of the contract an email will be sent to your guarantor advising them of their nomination and what they need to do. Your contract is not completed until your guarantor has accepted.

No, we don’t ask for proof of income, or home ownership. The guarantor will be given an identification number and password to access our online system. They will be asked to login to read the guarantor agreement carefully, then accept or decline online.

If the guarantor you nominate declines to accept the agreement you will need to nominate another guarantor before your room offer can be confirmed.

Please get in touch with the team with a brief outline of your circumstances and we will provide advice and guidance to support you.

Before you move to university

Do not bring too much – you can buy most supplies cheaply and easily once you are here. There may be limited storage space in your kitchen, especially fridge and freezer space, so plan your shopping accordingly.


You must provide your own bedding including pillows, towels and tea towels, toiletries, including toilet roll, a small amount of crockery and cutlery, bottle openers, and can openers. Also you will need pots, pans and basic utensils and other small electrical items such as irons, sandwich toasters, etc.

Please note that toasters and kettles are supplied in all halls’ kitchens as standard.

Racks are available outside each hall for the storage of bikes. We do not allow bikes to be stored in hallways or stairwells within the residences due to health and safety reasons. 

Students living in university or leased halls of residence will not be eligible for a permit, except Blue Badge holders who will automatically be eligible for a university priority permit. If private car travel is a specific course requirement, you may also be eligible for a permit. All students are eligible for a weekends and evenings permit.

We promote sustainable travel where possible, and there are plenty of alternatives to car travel on campus and beyond.

You are not insured by the university. UK students may be able to extend any existing house insurance policies from their family home, but you will need to check your own policy. Otherwise you will need to arrange your own contents insurance, as will all international students.

In flats where a TV has been provided in the communal area, the TV licence has been paid for. Please note this means that only the TV in the communal area has been paid for. If you bring your own TV for your own bedroom and use this to access live content, you will need to pay a separate TV licence.

Please note that the TV licence relates to BBC content, so if you have not brought your own TV but are using a laptop/tablet/console/another device to access BBC content (including iPlayer), you may still need to pay for a TV licence.

Please check for the latest information on the TV Licencing website.

Launderettes are located close to all our accommodation blocks, the closest location can be found within your halls handbook. All sites have washers and driers and are open from early until late at night seven days a week. All leased halls also have on-site launderettes. Prices start from £2.60 to wash and a minimum of £1.50 to dry.

Smoking is not permitted in any university buildings including halls - this includes vaping.

Yes, all of our owned and leased halls provide internet and Wi-Fi free of charge.

A number of rooms are fitted with equipment that allows certain seizures to be detected the moment they occur, ensuring there is a quick response by our security team if required. Further details are available on request. We will contact you after you apply for accommodation to check whether the equipment is suitable for your condition.

Once you've moved into university accommodation

You can apply to move to a different hall or flat within our owned or leased accommodation, and this can be arranged, subject to availability.

Preston campus - if you want to change your room for any reason within university owned or leased accommodation, this can be arranged subject to availability. An administration charge of £25 is made for moving rooms.

Burnley campus – if you want to change your room for any reason within Sandygate halls this can be arranged subject to availability. An administration charge of £25 is made for moving rooms.

You do not need to vacate your room during the Christmas or Easter vacation periods.