Sunny teaches across all levels (levels 4-7) with a focus on Chinese Studies modules about Chinese history, culture, economy, politics and society. In recognition of her contributions to teaching, Sunny is a National Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. With particular expertise in China's cultural diplomacy and its historical encounters with the West, Sunny's scholarship has led to collaborative projects with museums and community organisations. Sunny also supervises PhD projects on cultural studies and international relations subjects.
Sunny has published widely in top-rated journals including the Journal of Contemporary China and Asian Studies Review. Her monograph project, China’s Cultural Diplomacy – A Great Leap Outward? (Routledge, 2020) received excellent reviews. She chairs the China Research Center under the Institute for the Study of the Asia Pacific (ISAP).
Sunny got two degrees from China Foreign Affairs University in Beijing, then obtained her MBA at the University of Central Lancashire in 2002, and received her PhD award in 2017. She was an Associate Professor in Translation from the Chinese Language & Culture Institute for Diplomatic Missions in Beijing before she joined UCLan in 2008. She had nine translated book published, and acted as the Principal Translator/Interpreter for a number of international organizations in Beijing, including the World Bank, UNDP, UNICEF, EU Delegation, EU-China Policy Dialogue, the British Council, the US Embassy, Canadian Embassy, Australian Embassy, German Embassy, Irish Embassy, etc. Interpreted for a number of high-profile delegations up to Deputy Prime Minister level. She has been appointed as a Senior Lecturer and course leader of BA (hons) Business Management and Chinese at UCLan since 2008.
- BA (English), China Foreign Affairs University, 1990
- BL (International Law), China Foreign Affairs University, 1992
- MBA, Business School, University of Central Lancashire, 2002
- PhD, School of Language and Global Studies, University of Central Lancashire, 2017
- Certificate of accreditation as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) in 2012;
- Short listed for the Golden Roses Award for Lecturer of the Year in 2014.
- CL1001 - Background To China
- CL1203 - Introduction to Contemporary China
- CL2001 - Aspects of Chinese Society
- CL3202 - Understanding Chinese Economy and Society
- China’s cultural diplomacy
- Public diplomacy
- Anglo-Chinese encounters in history
- International relations
- Chinese nationalism
- Media and communications
- Member of British Association for Chinese Studies (BACS)
- British Chinese Language Teaching Society (BCLTS).