Sharon uses the outdoor environment and outdoor activities as a vehicle for teaching and learning as well as for enhancing personal and professional development.
As the Outdoor Programmes Manager within the School of Sport and Health Sciences, Sharon is responsible for the management and delivery of UCLan’s ‘Frontier Education’ programme across the whole University. Frontier Education is a personal and team development programme designed to develop peer support networks and collaborative working by building a cohort community and enhancing communication, leadership and employability skills. The Frontier Education programmes can help students with the transition into University life, and prepare graduates for the next step following graduation, into employment. Using the outdoors as a medium for teaching, learning and leadership, Sharon also teaches on the BA(Hons) Outdoor Adventure Leadership degree programme.
Sharon is an experienced teacher, lecturer and coach within the outdoors, with significant experience of working in Local Authority and commercial outdoor education and outdoor adventure centres, Schools, FE and HE education establishments. Sharon's adventures have included mountaineering expeditions to Ecuador, Bolivia, Nepal, British Columbia, Kyrgyzstan, Morocco and European Alps, and she has climbed extensively in UK, France, Switzerland, Spain, Majorca, Italy, Yosemite and British Columbia. Caving is Sharon's passion however, and as well as caving extensively in the UK, her underground adventures also include expeditions to France and Spain.
- MA (by Research), University of Central Lancashire, 2018
- B.Ed (Hons) Outdoor Education and Science – Class I, Liverpool John Moores University, 1995
- REC First Aid Trainer, Rescue and Emergency Care, 2014
- Off Site Safety and Management, Royal Geographical Society, 2013
- Cave Instructor Certificate + Mines Endorsement, British Caving Association, 2012
- Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor, Mountain Training UK, 1998
- Winter Mountain Leader, Mountain Training, 2006
- Accredited Practitioner of Institute of Outdoor Learning, 2007
- Level 2 Coach, British Canoeing, 1994
- Stand Up Paddleboard Support Module, 2018
- exploring the underground caves of the UK and overseas
- Association of Mountaineering Instructors, AMI