Nicola is the Director of the UCLan Research Centre for Global Development. She is an expert in the field of international nutrition, with a particular focus on micronutrient requirements and metabolism. The overarching aim of her research is to explore sustainable solutions to global malnutrition. Nicola supervises postgraduate degree students in the field of nutrition and food security.
Nicola leads a successful research team, that has received funding from The World Health Organisation, Wellcome Trust, British Council, European Commission and UK Research and Innovation, Global Challenges Research Fund (UKRI/GCRF) programme. She is currently seconded (0.5 FTE) to UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) as the Food Systems Portfolio lead for the Global Challenges Research Fund. A short film of her research addressing micronutrient deficiencies in Pakistan can be viewed here (insert link to film that LIS are currently working on)
Nicola is currently a Professor of Nutritional Sciences at UCLan. She is an experienced lecturer as well as a distinguished researcher in her field. She is a Fellow of the Association for Nutrition and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, an adviser to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission and has served as a member of the International Zinc Nutrition Consultative Group (IZiNCG). Nicola is the Research Director on the Board of Trustees for the Abaseen Foundation UK. This Lancashire based charity is working alongside community members in rural villages in North West Pakistan, to improve education, nutritional status and health care provision. Within this role, Nicola, along with the other members of the Board of Trustees, received the Queens Award (MBE) for Voluntary Service in 2017.
- Post graduate certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, University of Central Lancashire, 2005
- Ph.D.Nutritional Biochemistry, University of Liverpool 1991
- BSc (Joint Honours), Biochemistry/Applied Zoology.University College of North Wales, Bangor 1987
- Queens Award (MBE) for Voluntary Service, 2017
- THE International Collaboration of the year award, 2010
- THE Outstanding Knowledge Exchange/Transfer Initiative, 2010
- Global Food systems, Equitable partnerships in research, capacity building for international research
- Adjunct Professor of Nutrition at Khyber Medical University, Pakistan
- Associate Director UKRI, Global Challenges Research Fund, Challenge Lead for Food Systems Portfolio (Secondment 0.5 FTE)
- Medical Research Council, UK Nutrition Research Partnership Committee
- Association for Nutrition Fellowship Award Committee
- Adviser to the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission