Prof Sherrington’s research focuses on the ground breaking topic of “tribotronics”, the development of autonomous, self-adjusting components for mechanical equipment. He is currently Research Lead and REF co-ordinator for the School of Engineering and serves as Executive Director for the International Tribology Council (ITC).
Prof Sherrington’s is an acknowledged leader in the measurement/prediction of friction, wear and lubricating film thickness in machine components. His current research focuses on the development of active machine elements, a subject called “tribotronics”.
Prof Sherrington has been PI/Co-I for over 80 projects and authored/co-authored around 200 publications/patents. He has led and supported organising committees for a number of international events, served to assess grants/projects in the UK and overseas, acted an examiner for doctorate candidates and is an experienced Editor/Board Member for international journals and conference proceedings. Prof Sherrington was selected, along with nine other tribologists from across the world, to be presented to HRH Duke of Edinburgh at Buckingham Palace as part of the 50th Anniversary of Tribology in 2016. He also became the world’s first Professor of Tribotronics at KTH, Stockholm in 2018 and was a winner of the prestigious Donald Julius Groen Prize.
- BSc (Hons) Physics, University of Liverpool, 1979
- PhD Engineering, Lancashire Polytechnic, 1985
- Thomas Parkinson Scholarship
- Thomas Stephen Tribology Group Prize
- Tribology Bronze Medal
- IMechE Donald Julius Groen Prize
- MP3774 - Computer Aided Tribology
- MP4582 - Advanced Tribology
- EL4166 - Research Methods
- instrumentation for the measurement and characterisation of surface micro-topography
- friction measurement
- wear sensing
- lubricant film thickness measurement and lubrication control in a range of applications
- Affiliate Professor of Tribotronics (KTH, Stockholm, Sweden)
- Executive Director: International Tribology Council (ITC)
- Deputy Chair (Chair elect): IMechE Tribology Group Committee (UK)
- Member: UK Tribology Operations Committee (UK)
- Member Editorial Board: Proc. IMechE Part J (Engineering Tribology). Sage Publications
- Member Editorial Board: “Tribology”. Frontiers Media.