Lecturer in Operating Department Practice
School of Health, Social Work and Sport
Mike teaches across a range of modules in our BSc Operating Department Practice degree, having had a long career in clinical practice in both the NHS and Independent sector. He has been a member of our staff since 2010.
Mike’s main interests are in Leadership, Patient Safety and Airway Management. He is a member of the Difficult Airway Society, Guidelines Writing Group and an advisory member of PUMA, the Project for Universal Airway Management.
Mike qualified as an Operating Department Assistant in 1984, with the then CGLI 752. He worked in the perioperative phases of anaesthetic and recovery in a wide range of hospitals across England, both in the Independent sector and chiefly with three years at Central Manchester NHS and laterally at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals, where he practiced in all specialties in the main theatres. Mike represented theatres at the hospital Transfusion committee and was an in-hospital resuscitation trainer. Mike also completed several years in a practice development role.
Mike joined us in 2010 initially part-time. He now teaches across our BSc Operating Department Practice, and leads the CPD module Care of the anaesthetised patient. He has a particular interest in perioperative medicine, patient safety and airway management. Mike is currently a member of the guideline review group, of the Difficult Airway Society and a reviewer for the Project for Universal Airway Management.
He also takes an interest in the Decolonialisation of the curriculum Agenda and has attended the School group and Seminars about his issue. He is currently the School Safeguarding Lead.
- CGLI 752, Blackpool School of nursing, 1984
- Dip He Perioperative Practice UCLan, 2008
- BSc Professional Practice UCLan, 2012
- PGCE T&L in HE UCLan, 2014
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Pathophysiology Applied to Operating Department Practice
- Perioperative Patient Safety and Airway Management
- Perioperative Medicine
- Decolonisation of the curriculum
- Social Media for Teaching & Learning
- Asthma at Altitude
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Operating Department Practitioner registered with the Health and Care Professions Council
- Member of the College of Operating Department Practitioners
- Member of the Difficult Airway Society
- Member of Project for Universal Airway Management
- Member of the British Mountain Medicine Society (BMMS)
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- British Mountain Medicine Society, Inaugural meeting/Poster; An Asthmatic in the Andes, 2018