Research Associate - Global Race Centre for Equality
Jonathon is a Research Associate at the Global Race Centre for Equality. He is a transdisciplinary researcher with an interest in the everyday lived experience of poverty both in the United Kingdom and South Pacific.
Drawing on both an interpretive phenomenological approach and human capabilities framework, Jonathon’s research focuses on how a period spanning austerity, Covid-19 and the cost-of-living crisis have impacted the lives of diverse ethnic communities in post-industrial Lancashire.
Jonathon is also working with organisations across the UK to make economics relevant and accessible to marginalised communities through models of participatory research and co-production.
As an experienced equality, diversity and inclusion practitioner, Jonathon actively contributes towards the administration of GRACE as well as its research outputs.
Jonathon has significant experience as a researcher and activist working in the field of racial justice. Prior to joining us, he worked as the Operations and Business Development manager for a Black Asian and Minority Ethnic led regional charity. It delivered community-based projects across Lancashire as well as providing infrastructure support to the sector. In this role, he established a bi-lingual culturally sensitive counselling service. He also set up a Race Equality body to ensure the needs of diverse communities were considered and represented at a strategic level. Jonathon is also an experienced bid writer and secured more than £2 million of funding for Lancashire-based projects between 2020 – 2022.
Jonathon previously spent several years in the South Pacific conducting research on religious and cultural identities in post-conflict societies. He has presented his research at several universities including Edinburgh University, Manchester University, Liverpool University, University College London, Oxford University, The University of the South Pacific and Australian National University.
- BA (Hons) Politics and Government.University of Central Lancashire, 1998
- MA (Res) Philosophy, Nottingham University, 2001
- CMI Level 7 Certificate in Strategic Management and Leadership, 2023
- Multidimensional Poverty
- Racial Justice
- Decolonised Methodologies
- Accessible Economics
- Participatory methodologies and co-production
- Needs Economy
- Religious and Cultural Identities in post-conflict societies
- Fiji and the Pacific
- Restorative Justice
- Co-Chair, Racial Justice Network - People’s Powerhouse
- Member, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Football Advisory Board – Lancashire FA
- Member, Human Development and Capability Association
- Member, European Society for Oceanists
- Member, Ethnic Disparities Subgroup – Youth Futures Foundation
- Trustee, People’s Economy
- Trustee, Lancaster and Morecambe Hindu Society
- Fellow, Royal Asiatic Society
- Fellow, Royal Society of the Arts
- Fellow, Royal Anthropological Institute
Email: Email:Jonathon Prasad
Use the links below to view their profiles: