Jill is Course Leader for UCLan’s Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) programme and post-qualifying AMHP CPD. Both are delivered nationally as standard or bespoke (accelerated or on-site) delivery. Jill’s doctoral research and training is around the independent role of the AMHP and various decision-making aspects including Shared Decision-Making (SDM) and the statutory Empowerment and Involvement principle. Jill contributes to national AMHP policy initiatives, conferences and workforce development. She continues to practice as an AMHP.
Jill has a Course and Module Lead role for the AMHP programme which runs on different sites. Her teaching includes law and policy (including applying the Statutory Competencies to practice), diversity and mental health, social perspectives, ethics (legal and professional) critical reflection on mental health and power and communication. Jill’s post-qualifying CPD suite of training includes decision-making, psychosis and communication and Shared Decision-Making. Jill is also working with agency partners to develop the National AMHP Workforce Standards. Jill has published work in this area (Matthews, O’Hare and Hemmington, 2014) and planning for a second book underway. Jill is now developing training materials to look at Shared Decision-Making, linking to the principles of service user involvement becoming statute through the Mental Health Act reforms. Jill is part of a small group leading on unique annual national conferences supporting AMHP Research-Informed Practice and Practice-Informed Research for any colleagues who are undertaking or planning to undertake research in the area.
Prior to working at UCLan, Jill was an Integrated Team Manager within a community mental health team, an Approved Social Worker (ASW) and an ASW Practice Assessor. She has worked in the field of mental health since 1989 in a range of mental health settings, mainly Mental Health Social Work. Jill continues to practice as an AMHP and is an external panel member for a Local Authority’s AMHP reapproval panel. Jill is an External Examiner for other universities’ AMHP programmes. She has a role as an Education and Quality Inspector (AMHP and BIA) with Social Work England. Jill retains close links with practice developments (for example being part of the AMHP Leads Network) and supporting current national AMHP Workforce Development initiatives.
- Approved Mental Health Professional qualification; Best Interest Assessor qualification, University of Chester (2007)
- ASW Practice Assessor Award, Manchester University (2003)
- Approved Social Work Award, Manchester University (2001)
- MSc Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with Individuals with Psychosis and their Families, University of Manchester (2000)
- MA Applied Social Studies, Lancaster University (1998)
- Diploma of Social Work, Lancaster University (1998) (HCPC Registered Social Worker SW50158)
- BA (Hons) Social Policy, University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1995)
- AMHP research and training: Decision-Making, Assessment and Communication, Empowerment and Involvement and Shared Decision Making
- AMHP Workforce Development including standards of the national AMHP Workforce plan (particularly AMHPs’ Psychological, Personal, Physical and Professional Safety)