Jessica is the Subject Leader for the BA (Hons) Top Up in Public Services and is a Senior Lecturer in Social Science. Jessica works closely with industry professionals across the public services and organises conferences and guest lectures that provide students with the opportunity to network and develop contacts. She teaches across a range of modules in the social sciences and has a particular interest in the sociology of disability and cybercrime.
Jessica is a research fellow at The University if Central Lancashire (UCLan) Cyber Crime Research Unit. She was involved in organising two conferences for this; these have included high profile key note speakers including Professor Michael Clarke, former Director- General of the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) and Professor Majid Yar. She is presently co-editing the collection 'Rethinking Cybercrime' with Doctor Tim Owen; due for release in 2020. Her contribution examines the continued reasons for trolling the parents of Madeleine McCann on-line. Jessica’s chapter for the edited collection 'New Perspectives on Cybercrime', published in 2017, examines the challenge posed by scammers to on-line support groups. Jessica is dedicated to providing opportunities for students to work with and liaise with industry professionals, in order to enhance their employability. With this in mind she developed a work experience module that is taken by public service students and is an optional module for sociology students. In addition, guest lecturers include trailblazers who have made a considerable impact on human rights issues, including disability equality.
Jessica is presently a member of the Northern Accessibility User Group (NAUG) and is a former member of the Lancashire Strategic Hate Crime and Cohesion Group. She is an advocate of widening participation at the University. Past activities include contributions to Junior University – an initiative that aimed to break down the barriers to university for younger people. She has worked as the external examiner for the BSC (HONS) Management and Supervision of Offenders at Edge Hill University.
- 2005 Qualified Work Based Training Assessor (UCLan)
- 2003 Preston College PGCE in Further Education
- 2003 University of Central Lancashire Sociology (MA)
- PL3001 - Policy Interpretations in UK
- PL3003 - Public Services Work Placement
- PL3992 - Dissertation in Public Services
- SO3110 - The Sociology of Disability
- SO3020 - The Sociology of Childhood
- SO3108 - Global Social Divisions
- SO3004 - Sexy Bodies: Sexuality and the Body
- SO2022 - The Sociology of Health
- SO2002 - Sociology of Religion
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy