I teach across a range of subjects related to Social Work and working with children and families generally. With particular expertise in social work methods and approaches, child care law, practice education and direct work with children and families. I have an interest in the application of attachment theory in social work practice within teams. I am a Teaching Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a registered Social Worker and a Stage 2 Practice Educator.
I am a senior Lecturer in social work. I am an academic advisor within the school and module lead on various modules within the school.
I have been working in Higher Education since 2015. I have maintained my registration as a social worker since qualifying in 2000. I have worked across various sectors in the public, charity and private field of social work. My roles prior to working in higher education has varied from social worker, children's advocate, children's service manager, policy advisor, national trainer and specialist value based interviewer for a national children's charity. I have spoken at national conferences on subjects such as peri-natal support for fathers, solution focused practice with children and families and creativity in front line social work.. I have also sat on child death overview panels within the North West, been an independent member on serious case reviews and chaired various groups related to engaging with fathers.
- BSc (Hon) Sociology, University of Teesside, 1997
- MA/DipSW, University of Leicester, 2001
- PGDip in Practice learning and Assessment Coventry University 2005
- GSCC Practice Teacher award 2005
- Stage 2 Practice Educator, 2013
- Teaching Fellow of the Institute of Higher Education Academy 2017
- 2012 National Fellowship award from the NSPCC
- SW1070 - Law & Safeguarding
- SW1068 - Human Growth & Development
- SW2069 - Working with Children, Young People & Families
- SW2600 - Children's Services and Systems 2
- SW3071 - Ldershp,Entp,Emp & Fut Wlfr
- SW3072 - Social Work Practice 2
- SW3073 - Research for Specialist Professional Practice
- SW4705 - Introduction to Facilitating Learning in the Workplace
- SW4400 - Social Work Practice 2: Developing as a professional
- SW4712 - Responding to contemporary issues in social work and social care practice
- Direct work with children and families in social work practice
- Attachment theory and the applications for social work practice
- Practice Education
- Social work theory and methods
- Solution focused approaches in social work practice
- Narrative approaches in social work practice
- Resilience and creativity within front line social work practice.
- Registered Social Worker with Social Work England
- Teaching Fellow Institute of Higher Education Academy