I lead the programmes of Building Services and Sustainable Engineering at Preston and at our partner in Hong Kong.
Hilal joined UCLan on 1st of July 2010. His current role is a programme leader for the BEng/MEng Building Services and Sustainable Engineering. He has been in his current role for ten years. He recently developed an MEng (Hons) and lead the successful achievement of Course accreditation through the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. He also part-lead the successful accreditation of the courses at UCLan partner in Hong Kong through HKVAAQC, a renowned accreditation body in Hong Kong. His interests involve HVAC Systems design, Plant design and maintenance, Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics, and Low Carbon Building Design. He is also responsible for delivering Engineering Dissertation to final years students.
Hilal is a Chartered Building Services Engineer who has been involved in the Industry and Academia for the past three decades. Hilal holds a first degree in Mechanical Engineering, an MSc in Building Services Engineering, a Post-graduate Diploma in Environmental Engineering and a Certificate in Education. He is a fellow the Higher Education Academy as well. Hilal is a full Member of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers a Fellow of the Society of Operations Engineers, a fellow of the Institution of Plant Engineers and Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Engineers . He had spent many years in Design Consultancy and Project Management before he joined Academia. He taught over the years a wide range of Mechanical and Electrical Services subjects in both UK and Overseas. His experience in both Industry and Academia has contributed significantly to the improvement and development of the Building Services courses since he joined the University. He is involved in Knowledge Transfer with other Units in the School and contributes to the Architecture, Building surveying and Quantity surveying Courses.
- Cert ED, University of Central Lancashire, UK, 1996
- MSc Building Services Engineering, Brunel University, 1987
- PGD Environmental Engineering, London South Bank University,1986
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, Baghdad University, 1983
- NT2055 - Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 2
- NT2059 - Design Project 2
- NT3036 - Systems Design
- NT3037 - Plant and Maintenance
- NT3038 - Design Project 3
- NT3048 - Engineering Dissertation
- NT4021 - HVAC for Sustainable Buildings
- Low Carbon Design
- Chartered Engineer - Engineering Council (EC registration No. 4728217), 1996
- Fellow of The Institution of Plant Engineers (IPlantE), 1997
- Fellow of The Society of Operations Engineers (SOE), 2000
- Member of The Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE), 2000
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, 2015
- Membership Of the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers, 2018