Fiona is a lecturer practitioner who is currently helping to develop the MSc Dietetics programme for validation. Fiona also teaches across a range of subjects within the programme, having particular expertise in clinical dietetics and dietetic professional practice. Fiona is currently undertaking her Higher Education Academy Fellowship.
As a lecturer practitioner, Fiona combines teaching at UCLan with a clinical role as a highly specialist renal dietitian at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust. Fiona has a particular interest in the nutritional management of chronic kidney disease, nutritional screening and assessment, and management of undernutrition. Her research interests include nutritional interventions for chronic kidney disease, exercise and nutritional interventions in chronic conditions, interventions to reduce frailty, and nutritional screening and assessment methods, with a range of publications in these areas.
Fiona has over 20 years clinical dietetic experience, and was Lead Specialist Renal Dietitian at University Hospitals of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust until joining East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust in 2020. Fiona has previous teaching experience as a specialist visiting lecturer on dietetic programmes and British Dietetic Association post registration courses for dietitians, and has presented as an invited speaker at several national and international meetings and conferences. She is currently completing her PhD and has presented her research widely at several national and international conferences.
- BSc (Hons) Dietetics, Leeds Metropolitan University, 1997
- MSc Nephrology, University of Brighton, 2012
- Practice Certificate in Supplementary Prescribing, Coventry University 2018
- Health Education East Midlands Clinical Scholar Silver Award, 2016
- Kidney Research UK Allied Health Professionals Fellowship, 2017
- Clinical Dietetics
- Dietetic Professional Practice
- Exercise and Nutrition Interventions in Chronic Disease
- Dietetic Prescribing
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Dietetic Association