Melanie has a degree in Pharmacy from the University of Sunderland. She completed her pre-registration year at Dudley Road Hospital in Birmingham then went on to complete a PhD at the University of Bradford. After this she went to take up a role as research assistant at the University of Queensland for 6 months but stayed for 14 years! She has experience of Hospital and Community pharmacy in the UK and Australia along with some industrial experience and academia. She currently works one day per week for UCLan teaching Pharmacology to Non-Medical Prescribing students. Melanie also works in primary care as a practice pharmacist where she has a patient-facing and medicines management role.
Melanie currently teaches Pharmacology as part of the NMP course as part of the multi-disciplinary team that includes nurses, paramedics, midwives and physiotherapists. She has interests in wound healing, multi-disciplinary learning and cardiovascular disease.
Melanie has a wide experience of all aspects of pharmacy practice. She has been a tutor for pre-registration pharmacists and is an active member of the Primary Care Pharmacists Association.
- PhD Analytical Chemistry, University of Bradford, 1994
- Certificate in Independent Prescribing, Keele University, 2014
- BSc (Hons) Pharmacy University of Sunderland, 1989
- Management of asthma, COPD and diabetes in primary care
- Wound management in the community setting
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society and Primary Care Pharmacists Association