Dr Luigi Lerose
School of Humanities, Language & Global Studies
Luigi graduated from Alpen Adria University, Klagenfurt (Austria) in 2012 with a PhD in Philosophy (Linguistic) on Sign Language. He previously worked as a lecturer of Sign Language within several Italian Universities (Trieste, Verona, Naples, Venice and Bologna) and has also presented various abstracts at a number of National and International conferences. He has served as a Board member of the European Network of Sign Language Teachers (ENSLT) and in 2017 was elected Chair of the organisation.
Currently Luigi teaches a number of modules regarding the practical application of British Sign Language and Deaf Studies. In addition to this Luigi also teaches part of a module in the British Sign Language/ English Interpreting Post Graduate Diploma.
Luigi is employed at UCLan as a BSL and Deaf Studies Lecturer. He utilises applied concepts of Sign Linguistics within teaching to allow students to learn more about how to use, (knowledge and competence) the language. Luigi has also published several articles and DVDs (Edizioni DeafMedia, 2006 and 2009) regarding linguistic searches, interpretation and LIS didactic activities, and more recently, a book about LIS Phonology (Libellula Edizioni) and a DVD about Austrian Sign Language (OGS). In the training field, he worked with a cohort of teachers on educational programming, highlighting the importance of language teaching (pedagogy) and language training for adults, (knowledge of various teaching methods according to students and their programme) and the analysis of the levels of knowledge and language competence based on the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). More recently he has organised several workshops, to foster an in-depth knowledge for teachers (continuing training and knowledge of teaching techniques) and has also taken part in a number of European projects. In addition to this he has presented various abstracts to National and International conferences such as Lesico Conferences in Prague (where he was appointed a board member of the European Network Sign Language Teachers (ENSLT), and also in Paris and then Basel 2017 (where he was elected as the Chair of ENSLT).
- Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) – PR149708, 2018.
- PhD Philosophy (Linguistic), Alpen Adria University, Klagenfurt (Austria), 2012.
- MA Lettere Moderne, Universita’ di Padova (Italia), 2003.
- Current areas of interest include attending and participating in several European projects on sign language teaching. As well as teaching and training tutors, Luigi also organises numerous Workshops and Symposiums dedicated to them.
- 2017- to date: European Network of Sign Language Teachers (ENSLT) – Chairperson
- 2010- to date: Mason Perkins Deafness Fund (MPDF) – Board member
- 2013-2017: European Network of Sign Language Teachers (ENSLT) – Vice chairperson
Luigi is research active within various areas such as; Phonology, Morphology, Deixis, Syntax, Classifiers, Metaphor, Semiotics, Italian Sign Language (LIS), International Sign (IS), British Sign Language (BSL), Sign Language Teaching, Sign Language Training and Cognitive Linguistics.
Use the links below to view their profiles:
- View their unique and persistent identifier on the ORCiD registry
- Full list of publications and articles on CLoK
- BiBiKit – A Bilingual Bimodal ToolKit for Sign Language Users
- Signs2Cross – Linguistic Mobility for Deaf People in Europe
- SignTeach - An Open Educational Resource for Sign Language Teachers in Europe
- The Role of the Sign Language Teacher and Teaching M2L2, National Association of Greek Sign Language, Workshop, Athens (GRE), 2020
- Communication strategies, European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters (efsli), Workshop, Ljubljana (SLO), 2019
- Language Attitudes, Bridging the Gap 6, University of South Wales, 2019, Cardiff (UK)
- The profile of a Sign Language Teacher, 2nd ENSLT Symposium, University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), Preston (UK), 2019
- Formación de docentes de lengua de signos en Europa, XI Foro Estatal de las Lenguas de Signos Españolas, Confederación Estatal de Personas Sordas (CNSE), Madrid (ESP), 2019
- Deaf Culture and Intercultural Communication, L-Universita’ ta’ Malta, 2019
- Teaching Sign Language through Cross-modality, Third PRO-Sign2 Conference, Belgrade (SER), 2018
- Teaching sign language through cross-modality development potential, Sign CAFÉ’, University of Birmingham (UK), 2018
- Teaching L2 and developing M2, 3rd International Conference of Sign Language Teachers (Lesico), Basel (SWI), 2017
Use the links below to view their profiles: