David supervises students across a range of performance disciplines. With particular expertise in talent development environments, how epistemology impacts behaviour, coach education, and teacher learning, David's scholarship has led to collaborative projects with national governing bodies of sport, professional sports academies in the UK and overseas, schools, colleges and international universities.
David leads ICaP within the School of Sport and Health Sciences. The Institute offers Postgraduate Research programmes and supports expert practitioners solve real world problems and create bespoke solutions for themselves and their organisations. David has published in Talent Development, Skill Acquisition, Decision Making, and Organisational Management. His work contributes to the Centre for Applied Sport, Physical Activity and Performance by supporting the Developing Expertise theme within it. David utilises his position to support the University's international sports courses and partnership at the Cyprus campus, China, USA and the Middle East.
David has been the Head of Sport within schools, colleges and university, He has had consultancy roles with England Golf, The Rugby Football League, The English FA, British Cycling and numerous professional football and rugby clubs. His work has provided a talent development framework on which to help sports and education institutions organise and evaluate their programmes and courses - The C.A.R.E. curriculum and athlete development model. David also established the first joint degree in Physical Education and Football Coaching in China with Hunan Normal University in 2018, having previously worked with many university and sporting partners in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Shenzhen.
- PhD Elite Performance, University of Central Lancashire, 2014
- MBA Business Administration, University of Central Lancashire, 2008
- PCDE Physical Education, Liverpool John Moores University, 1995
- BA (Hons) Sport and Leisure Management, University of Birmingham, 1992
- TL5000 - Thesis
- TL4119 - Evolution of Working Practice
- TL4188 - Philosophy to Practice
- TL4189 - Contemporary Practice for Sport
- TL4047 - Physical Education and School Sport Issues and Concepts
- Expertise Development
- Talent Development Environments
- Coach Education