Daniela teaches German Language and Culture/ Society with particular expertise in German Reunification. Daniela has extensive experience in teaching of over 25 years in various educational settings and training teachers in further education. She has a passion for the inclusivity of all learners and enjoys creating new approaches to teaching and learning which was recognised in the Teaching Fellow of Higher Education Academy Award. She works collaboratively with other German lecturers and secondary teachers within the UK. Daniela also supervises PhD projects with elements of German linguistics and occasionally translates scripts from English into German. For some years she has organised the annual year of 'European Languages' which attracts hundreds of visitors from local schools. Daniela is also passionate about the wider networking with secondary schools and colleges and is part of the 'Outreach Team'.
As the subject leader in German, Daniela leads a team of Germanists with varying expertise which provides the students with a coordinated and inclusive learning experience in all undergraduate modules. As a team they encourage and implement wider employability skills and strengthen independent study skills through a range of projects and events.
Apart from translating various books, Daniela has recently secured an academic publication in a consortium with other German lecturers from various UK universities about ' ab initio' teaching and learning in German.
Daniela grew up in Germany, Wetzlar, and studied Social Pedagogy in Darmstadt where she became interested in educational theories and practices ranging from early years, special school, secondary school and adult education. Having been awarded a transfer degree 'comparative study in social work' at Lancaster university, Daniela worked as a field and residential social worker within Lancashire. She received her first teaching post in 1995 teaching social work, psychology, human growth and development and later criminology and teacher training. Parallel to this Daniela taught German in adult education classes and the last 11 years she delivered German Language Modules on the undergraduate programme at Lancaster University (DELC), before joining UCLan in 2017.
Throughout her career Daniela has been teaching in early years setting, special education, further education, secondary colleges and higher education. The qualification in Management and many years of being Head of German in FE and deputy on an ACCESS course to Higher Education provided her with leadership and visionary skills. At UCLan she was Course Leader for EICC and IBC with MFL in 2019.
She is also an external examiner and scrutineer for the Welsh Examination Board (WJEC) for A-levels in German since 2000.
- BA and MA in Social Pedagogy, Darmstadt University, Germany, 1987
- MA in Education (equivalent to PGCE in UK) in Darmstadt University, Germany, 1988
- Transfer to Social Work degree, Lancaster, 1989
- Chartered Management Institute, L4, 2004
- Teaching Fellow of Higher Education Academy, UCLan, 2019
- GM1006 - Introduction to German Studies
- GM1000 - Ab Initio German
- GM1001 - Background to German Studies
- GM2000 - German Ab Initio Language and Society 1
- GM2001 - German Ad Initio Language and Society 2
- GM2101 - German Language and Society 1
- GM2112 - German Language and Society 2
- GM3001 - German Language
- GM3105 - German Language
- German Grammar and Language
- Educational Theories and Inclusivity
- German Reunification
- Ab Initio German, Teaching and Learning
- GAIN Consortium for Ab Initio teaching and learning, since 2017
- DAAD Ortslektoren (German Academic Exchange Service), since 2008
- German Forum of the North West
- Chartered Management Institute, since 2004