Daniel has worked in the UK and overseas in the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and in particular in English for Academic Purposes. He is an experienced teacher trainer whose interests include language assessment, language corpora and lexis. He has worked with students at every level from Foundation through to Doctoral students.
Daniel is Head of School for Humanities, Language and Global Studies. He has a strong interest in English language teaching and assessment and has published on using corpora for teaching grammar, teaching lexis and the role of metadiscourse markers in establishing language learners' profiles at different levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Language. He also supervises PhD students in areas such as language assessment, second language acquisition, intercultural awareness and lexis.
Daniel has been involved in English Language Teaching since 1993 and taught for nine years in Turkey working in language schools and a Higher Education institution. He has been involved in a great many different projects in previous posts, including developing beginner level English programmes, business English classes, corpus-based word lists and revising a text book for students preparing to enter university. He joined UCLan in 2002 and worked on a number of English language examination projects as well as teaching on the BA and MA TESOL programmes and the International Business Communication course. He has presented at many international conferences and has undertaken work for the British Council on training teachers in English language assessment. Daniel has also worked as an external advisor and examiner for different UK HE institutions and has been an internal and an external PhD examiner.
- PhD in Language Assessment, University of Bedfordshire Centre for English Language Learning & Assessment. 2015
- MSc in Teaching English for Specific Purposes, Aston University, 2005
- Cambridge RSA Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults, 2000
- Trinity College London Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, 1992
- BSc J/H English Literature and Greek Civilisation, Leeds University, 1992
- Language Assessment
- Metadiscourse in writing
- Lexis and Grammar
- External examiner, University of Wolverhampton from September 2020
- Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy , 2011