Colette teaches communication and offers work placement support for the Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care. She is disability lead for Community Health and Midwifery offering advice on inclusive learning for students and staff. Colette is also the Humanist chaplain at UCLan Oasis. Qualified in social work and counselling, Colette previously worked in disability support in Further Education.
As lecturer and placement co-ordinator Colette delivers modules in communication and developing professional practice. She has a particular interest in supporting students to develop reflective practice in health and care and to overcome the challenge of writing reflectively.
With more than thirty years experience in people work, Colette has worked in residential care, day services for women and men with disabilities and in education. She worked for the Royal National Institute for Deaf People for several years which sparked her interest in modes of communication and this led on to working as a social worker for Lancashire County Council's sensory impairment team. From here, Colette moved to managing disability support for students with learning and physical disabilities and mental health needs at Blackburn College working with an innovative team to develop individual packages of support, inclusive study programmes and mental health mentoring support for students.
- MA Social Work and Welfare Studies, UCLan, 2000
- BA (Hons) Social Science, 1987, Sunderland Polytechnic
- Diploma in Social Work, UCLan, 1999
- Certificate in Education (post compulsory), University Centre, Blackburn College, 2004
- Diploma in Management Studies, University Centre Blackburn College, 2007
- CPCAB Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, Art of Change, Blackburn, 2017
- PZ1022 - Communication and Collaboration
- PZ1090 - Foundations for Practice
- PZ2090 - Supporting Professional Practice
- Reflection and reflective practice
- Portfolio development
- Humanist thought
- Social Work England Registered Member
- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy Registered Member
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Humanist UK Accredited Pastoral Support Worker