I am a professionally qualified psychiatric nurse with more than twenty years experience in nursing and nurse education. I work as a part-time lecturer in Health and Social Care at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan). I predominantly work on the Health and Social Care Foundation Degree Apprenticeship Healthcare Assistant Practitioner course. My main roles and responsibilities consist of an overarching responsibility for apprentices on the course. I am an academic advisor for work-based apprentices within the University of Central Lancashire.
I currently work 2 days a week and I currently run 3 modules on the Health and Social Care Foundation Degree and Assistant practitioner course focusing on mental health and leadership and management. I have an academic advisor role where I have individual responsibility for 30 students in order to help them develop the skills necessary to deal with undertaking a full time degree.
Having worked in education for over 14 years I have vast experience in both teaching and assessing students/apprentices. I have a robust knowledge of the End Point Assessment Process (EPA) having helped develop the Health and Social Care Foundation Degree Apprenticeship Healthcare Assistant Practitioner and meeting with employers. I have a Post Graduate Certificate in Education and the ENB 998 (Teaching & Assessing in Clinical Practice), which is equivalent to the Nursing Midwifery Council’s mentorship/assessor qualification. I use the underpinning theory gained through these qualifications to carry out effective teaching, learning and assessment methods. I have an extensive knowledge of developing and assessing students/apprentices across a range of levels using reflective journals, professional interviews and observations. I have a wealth of clinical experience in both secure and community settings. One of my proudest achievements is setting up a supported living company in 2014 working with individuals with a range of mental health needs.
- Sept 2010-May 2011 University of Central Lancashire: Advanced Cert in Conflict Management
- January 2011 Lancashire Social Services SOVA Train the Trainer course
- Sept 2008-June 2010 University of Central Lancashire: Post Graduate Certificate in Education
- Jan 2006-Sept 2006 University of Central Lancashire: Teaching Toolkit
- June 2001-June 2003 University of Central Lancashire: Postgraduate Diploma in Management
- Sept 1999- June 2002 University of Hertfordshire: BSc (Hons) in Nursing Studies
- Nov 1997-May 1998 University of Anglia: Teaching in Clinical Practice (ENB 998)
- Sept 1993- Sept 1996 University of Hertfordshire: Diploma in Nursing Studies
- PZ1046 - Mental health across the lifespan
- PW2020 - Interventions in Mental Health Practice
- PZ2130 - Management of Mental Health Across the Lifespan
- I currently work part time as a lecturer on the Health and Social Care team and I am also a director of a property development/care company specifically working with the healthcare sector developing affordable housing solutions for service users. I am particularly interested in the development of affordable housing for service users who find it difficult to acquire and maintain their own homes due to the impact of a range of long term conditions.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Higher Education Academy