Dr Ana Lucia Borges da Costa
Dr Ana Lucia Borges da Costa is a Lecturer in Occupational Therapy at the BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy and MSc (pre-reg) Occupational Therapy courses.
Ana qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1988 in São Paulo, Brazil, where she is originally from. She worked for various mental health services in São Paulo and, also, as a lecturer in occupational therapy at two renowned universities there until 2001, when she moved to England.
In the UK, she has worked as an Occupational Therapist for various mental health services, including inpatient and community services. Ana completed her PhD in 2014, investigating circle dance as a medium for promoting occupational well-being. Ana has extensively researched the value of circle dance to wellbeing and has published widely on the subject. Her research interests are occupational therapy in mental health, dance (in particular circle dance), health and well-being, occupational science and qualitative research.
Ana has been working in Higher Education in the UK since 2015. Initially, she worked as a lecturer in health at the University of Bolton. From 2017 to 2019, Ana worked at the University of Cumbria as a lecturer in occupational therapy. She joined the University of Central Lancashire in 2020 working as a lecturer in occupational therapy teaching on the BSc (Hons) and MSc (pre-reg) Occupational Therapy programmes.
- November 2016: Postgraduate Certificate (International) Movement and Awareness – Academy of Movement and Awareness
- September 2015 - June 2016: Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher and Professional Education- School of Education and Psychology, University of Bolton
- February 2010 - November 2014: Doctor of Philosophy ‘An investigation into circle dance as a medium to promote occupational well-being’ - University of Bolton
- October 2010 - January 2011: Postgraduate Certificate (International) -Assessment of Motor and Process Skills - AMPS International
- February 1990 - March 1993: Postgraduate Diploma -Kinesiology, Bodywork and Jungian Psychology - Institute Sedes Sapientiae / São Paulo / Brazil
- January 1989 - July 1989: Postgraduate Certificate Occupational Therapy applied to Mental Health - FUNDAP / São Paulo / Brazil
- February 1985 - December 1988: BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy -University of São Paulo / Brazil
- Occupational therapy in mental health
- Dance (in particular circle dance)
- Health and well-being
- Occupational science
- Qualitative research
- Health Care Professions Council (HCPC): Registered Occupational Therapist
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists (RCOT) / British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT): Member
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section Mental Health: Member
- World Federation of Occupational Therapists: Member
- The Higher Education Academy (HEA): Fellow of the HEA
- International Dance Council CID: Member