Adrian works to develop the University's reputation and prowess in sports performance, to develop sporting opportunity at the University and to enhance opportunities for staff and students to be physically active.
Adrian is striving to develop the university as a centre of excellence for sport within the region and to be a university of choice nationally for sport. Adrian and the UCLan Sport team work collaboratively with the University's academic Schools, the Students' Union and local partners to create a compelling student experience. The University's aim is to develop a reputation for excelling at sports performance, creating authentic, real-world learning opportunities for our students, having state outstanding facilities and using them to host significant events, for being an Active University and for using sport to 'make a difference' and as a force for good.
Adrian has worked at the University for over 20 years in a variety of academic, Faculty and professional roles; he was previously Head of School for Sport and Wellbeing and nowadays is Director of Sport. Adrian has extensive experience of working with partners locally, regionally and nationally. He has Chaired the Preston Sport and Physical Activity Alliance, was a member of the Preston Healthy City Partnership, was a Sport England NW Coaching steering group member, was a member of the NW Sport and Active Leisure Skills and Productivity Alliance, was UCLan's NW Universities' Association HE Academic Sport Advisor for Skills and Volunteering, was a member of the Lancashire Sport Olympic Legacy Steering Group, a member of the Lancashire School Games Steering Group, was a Governor of the Wigan UTC, a Board member of Lancashire Sport/Active Lancashire and is currently a Trustee of Preston North End FC's Community and Education Trust. Adrian was also the University's driving force in the City being awarded European City of Sport status in 2012, and the University begin used as a training camp venue for the London 2012 Olympics as well as the Rugby League World Cups in 2013 and 2021.
- BA (Special Hons) Sport & Recreation Studies, University of Birmingham, 1991
- MA Leisure Studies, Dalhousie University, Canada, 1993
- PhD Sport & Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, 1998
- PGCE (FE & HE) Manchester Metropolitan University, 2001
- 1984-88 Durham County Schools Football U15, U16, Captain U18
- 1984-86 Associate Schoolboy, Southampton F.C.
- 1986-87 Captain, Great Britain Catholic Schools Football Team U17
- 1987-88 Captain, Durham County Youth F.A. U19
- 1987-88 Captain, England Schools Football U18
- 1988-89 Youth & Reserve team player, Barnsley F.C.
- 1989-90 Club Captain, Birmingham University Football Club
- 1988-91 England Universities Football Representative
- 1991 University of Birmingham, School of Sport & Exercise Sciences, Munro Prize
- 1991-93 Dalhousie University Soccer Captain
- 1992-93 Canadian Universities Soccer Representative
- 1992-93 Dalhousie University Climo Award
- Sports Performance
- Sports Development
- Physical Activity
- Member of Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity
- Fellow of the HE Academy/Advance HE