How to apply

International Applications

People working on a computer

UCLan has a global community and welcomes quality applications from international students.

There are various ways in which international students can apply. Please see the links below to download the application forms and guidance notes for undergraduate and postgraduate applications. Alternatively, all these forms are available on request from any of our offices, in the UK or overseas or via our agent network.

Need to improve your English?

Get your English ready for your UCLan course with the Pre Sessional English for Academic Purposes



UCAS Online Application

Guidance Notes (.pdf, 15KB)



UCLan Online Application

Microsoft Word Application Form (.doc 178KB)

PDF Application Form (.pdf 136KB)

Guidance Notes (.pdf 169KB)


Research Degree Programmes

Research Degree Application (.doc 202KB)

Guidance Notes (.doc 55 KB)

Completed forms should be returned to 

rest of world




UCAS Online Application

UCLan Online Application

Microsoft Word Application (.doc 178KB)

PDF Application (.pdf 171KB)

Guidance Notes (.pdf 170 KB)




UCLan Online Application

Microsoft Word Application (.doc 178 KB)

PDF Application (.pdf 171 KB)

Guidance Notes (.pdf 170 KB)


Research Degree Programmes

Research Degree Application (.doc 202KB)

Guidance Notes (.doc 55 KB)

Completed forms should be returned to

Further Information

Undergraduate Courses

Applying through UCAS 

Applications for undergraduate courses are made via the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). Applications can be filled out on their website:
Applications from Home and EU students can be submitted from 1 September – 15 January. We will consider most applications received after this date but you are advised to contact Course Enquiries on +44 (0)1772 892400 for further advice.
Your application should be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
Please ensure you use the correct UCAS code for your chosen course. The correct code can be found on our courses page. The institution code for UCLan is: CLANC C30.
To find out the qualifications that you'll need in order to gain entry to one of our undergraduate courses use our 'Find your country' feature.

Art and Design Courses 

There are two routes, A and B, for Art and Design applications through the UCAS system.

Applications for courses shown in Route A should be submitted by 15 January, each year. Applications for courses in Route B should be submitted by 24 March each year and will lead to sequential interviews.

Applying for Nursing Courses

These courses are funded by the NHS and therefore places are only available for students who are classed as ‘Home’ for fee purposes. 

Check your residency status on our 'Am I an International student?' page, or contact Admissions on +44 (0)1772 892415, email:

International application form 

Only for non-EU students applying for Undergraduate or Postgraduate Taught Degree Programmes

EU students 

Please click on the following link for detailed information on applying for an undergraduate course through UCAS.

Applying for a postgraduate course 

To apply for any of our postgraduate courses you should use the international application form, or UCLan’s online application system. Please note that not all our courses are available to apply for online, please check the list first (link). 

Standard application forms are available from the University’s Course Enquiries Unit on +44 (0)1772 892400. You should return your completed application form to the International Admissions Office, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, PR1 2HE, UK or email:

For an application for admission to a Research Degree Programme you should use a research degree programme application form and email it to:

To find out the qualifications that you'll need in order to gain entry to one of our postgraduate courses use our 'Find your country' feature.

Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)

You may have completed previous learning which can count towards your final award. These students can be considered for entry at an advanced level such as year two or three. If this applies to you, indicate this clearly on your application form and send evidence of your previous learning and qualifications. You will be contacted by the University for further information if necessary.

For more information, go to the APL page.

Deferred Entry 

UCLan will consider applications from students intending to take a year off from studying between leaving school and starting University. You must demonstrate that the break from study will enhance the strength of your application. You will have to complete your studies in the year you apply. For example, students planning to start University in September 2013 must have completed previous studies by September 2012.

Making Offers 

School and college students will be asked to achieve certain grades in their set examinations. For Art and Design courses you may be asked to produce a portfolio of work.

The entry requirements will be based on information contained in your application. You may be asked to provide further information or attend an interview before an offer is made.