School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
Maudland Building, MB023
+44 (0) 1772 89 5814
Subject Areas: Pharmacy and Pharmacology
Janice is a primary care pharmacist – employed by NHS East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and seconded to Uclan for 2 days per week as co-module leader for the Non-medical prescribing course.
BSc (Hons) Pharmacy, University of Sunderland, 1992
MSc Clinical Pharmacy, Queens University of Belfast, 1996
PGCert in Management Studies, ManCat, 2004
PGCert Management of Same Day Consultations, UCLan, 2007
PGCert Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, UCLan, 2010
Non Medical Prescribing, University of Cumbria, 2011
Janice has worked in community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy and for the last 11 years in primary care pharmacy. She is currently employed by East Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group where she provides medicines management support and advice to a locality group of General Practices (GPs). This involves:
• Contributing strategically and operationally to the development and delivery of pharmaceutical, prescribing and medicines management initiatives across the CCG in accordance with national policy and the CCG medicines management strategy.
• Delivering rational, high quality, safe, cost-effective, evidence-based prescribing through expert pharmaceutical advice and support to a specific locality group of GP practices, individual GP practices and individual prescribers within the practices.
• Contributing to the delivery of prescribing and medicines management services across the CCG to meet the pharmaceutical care needs of the population, improve concordance and reduce waste.
• Taking a lead role in the CCG Medicines Management team for a specific locality group of GP practices.
• Providing education and training on rational, evidence-based prescribing to all members of the multidisciplinary team as appropriate.
Janice is a Non-medical prescriber and she utilises her prescribing role whilst working for an Out of Hours service provider. This role involves completing episodes of care for patients who contact the centre with urgent medication requirements and providing medicines information to patients, health and social care staff who contact the service for advice or information.
Janice is co-course leader on the multidisciplinary Non-medical prescribing course at Uclan which is hosted by the School of Health and Wellbeing. Janice works with nurses and Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) in the teaching and assessment of pharmacists, nurses and AHPs wishing to qualify as NMPs.
What is the Legislation that surrounds the administration of medicines? (August 2011) Journal of Paramedic Practice, 3(8)424-8
“Prescribing for Specific Groups” in Nuttall D and Rutt Howard J (Eds) (2011) The Textbook of Non Medical Prescribing. Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell
Snape T, Astles, A, Davies J (2010) Understanding the Chemical Basis of Drug Stability and Degradation, Pharmaceutical Journal (285) 416
NU3023/4023 Non Medical Prescribing. Co-course leader.
NU3037/3237/4042 Community Practitioner Prescribing
NU3072 Comprehensive Patient Assessment and Diagnosis
NU4142 Advanced Patient Assessment and Diagnostic Skills
Diploma in Paramedic Practice
PJ3201 Prescribing and Medicines Optimisation
PJ4000 Pharmacy Practice
Regional Conference of Paramedic Practice – 2011. “Who can give what – a whirlwind tour of the legislation surrounding medicines administration for paramedics”
Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, 1993-date
General Pharmaceutical Council, 2010-date
Academic Pharmacists Group, 2010-date
Fellow of Higher Education Academy, 2010-date