School of Social Work, Care and Community
Livesey House, LH213 + 44
+44 (0) 1772 89 3666/2780
Subject Areas: Community Leadership
Alethea Melling MBE has led the Centre for Volunteering and Community Leadership since 2001. Alethea is inspired by the work of Brazilian Educator Paulo Freire and committed to community based, solution led social change and peer to peer education.
Alethea led the development of the UCLan Community Leadership programme providing opportunities for professional development from level three to post graduate.
Alethea has delivered peer led community projects across Lancashire and Cumbria, including an ESF programme to develop employability skills with 1,000 unemployed young people. Alethea undertakes regular work in Pakistan and is a visiting Professor to the University of Gujrat. She also acts as a consultant to the Russian Government, supporting the development of a youth strategy, and providing the blue print for the Sochi 2014 student led volunteer programme.
Alethea is now working with Moscow City Government on their volunteering and social action programme in preparation for FIFA 2018 World Cup. She is the author of a wide range of papers and producer of short films and documentaries exploring community from a historical and contemporary perspective Alethea studied leadership at Harvard University Kennedy Business School through their Leadership Programme for Women. Alethea has a PhD in Community History and in 2007 was honoured for Services to Education.
Forthcoming 2015/16: Paulo Freire and Transformative Education: Changing Lives and Transforming Communities, Melling, A. and Pilkington, R. (eds) Palgrave Macmillan, London.
Melling, A., and Chandia, M. Community Leadership, Palgrave Macmillan, London.
2015 Alethea Melling and Wajid Khan, Pakistan in Praxis, in T. Besley and M. Peters (2015) Paulo Freire: the Global Legacy, Peter Lang, New York.
2015 Alethea Melling and Yasmeen Ali Travellers in Time: the development of a critical pedagogy for Roma Gypsy Travellers, in T. Besley and M. Peters (2015) Paulo Freire: the Global Legacy, Peter Lang, New York.
2013 Ridwanah Gurjee and Alethea Melling, ‘Researching the Impact of Student Mentoring in the Community’ International Journal of Social Work and Human Services Practice, Horizon Research Publishing Vol.1. No.1 September, 2013, pp. 1-8
2012 Alethea Melling and Wajid Khan, ‘Crossing the Road’: The value of inclusive pedagogical practice for South Asian Women in Burnley, East Lancashire, Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, Volume 14, Number 3, Winter 2012/13
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Member of the Social Impact Analysts Association
Member of the International Mentoring Association
Working with the Freire Institute to develop dialogue around community pedagogy nationally and internationally.
The Centre for Volunteering and Community Leadership
Twitter - @VolunteerUCLan
Facebook - UCLanVolunteering
2014- Paulo Freire and Transformative Education: Changing Lives and
Transforming Communities (with Dr. Ruth Pilkington)
28th April 2014 – 1st May 2014
An International four day Conference at Preston, UK
2013- International youth Peer Education conference with Russia, Pakistan, Turkey and the USA, University of Central Lancashire
2012- Alethea Melling and Yasmeen Ali, Travellers in Time: the development of a critical pedagogy for Roma Gypsy Travellers, Paulo Freire: the Global Legacy Conference, Waikato University, NZ, Nov 2012
2012- Alethea Melling and Wajid Khan, Pakistan in Praxis, Paulo Freire: the Global Legacy Conference, Waikato University, NZ, Nov 2012
2012- Youth Leadership and Peer Education, University of Gujrat, Pakistan
2011- Volunteering Summit, Sochi, Russia, with the SOCHI 2014 OCOG
2011- ‘Youth Lead Youth’, Global Youth Leadership Conference, Nelson, Lancashire
2009- ‘Youth Lead Youth’, Global Youth Leadership Conference, Helvellyn, Cumbria
2008- ‘Youth Lead Youth’, Global Youth Leadership Conference, Langdale, Cumbria
2007- ‘Youth Connect’, Bi Lateral Peace Conference (Moscow and East Lancashire), Peace Centre, Warrington
2007- ‘Peer Led Conference Addressing Social Cohesion’, Coldwell, Lancashire
2006- ‘Youth Lead Youth’, Global youth Leadership Conference, Newlands, Cumbria
2005- ‘Youth Lead Youth’ Global youth Leadership Conference for Young Women, Borwick, Lancashire
2005- ‘Youth Lead Youth’, Global Youth Leadership Conference, Penrith, Cumbria
2005- ‘The Corrymeela Project’: A Conference on youth and community cohesion, Corrymeela, Ireland
2004-‘Youth Lead Youth’ Global Youth Leadership Conference, Langdale, Cumbria
2003- ‘Empower, Engage, Enable: National conference on Volunteering and community Action’, University of Central Lancashire
2003- ‘Youth Lead Youth’ Global Youth Leadership Conference, Hawkshead, Cumbria
• Member of the Editorial Board for Soccer and Society (Frank Cass) 2000 – 2003
• Russell commission into Youth Volunteering 2004
• HM Treasury Forum on Youth Volunteering 2004
• Russian Ministry for Education and Science Youth Strategy 2005
• Civil G8 Round Table on Inclusion and Cohesion, Moscow, 2006
• Cabinet Office Consultation on Integration and Cohesion: ‘Our Shared Future’, 2007
• Public Chamber of the Russian Federation Report into Civil Society, 2007/2008
• Burnley Borough Council developing an Institute for Social Cohesion in Burnley 2007 on going
• The Development of the Centre for Civil Society, University of Gujrat, Pakistan
• RUSI Homeland Security and Resilience: Community Action and Disaster Management, 2008
• Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies, Emergency Response Conference, 11.12. 2008. Whitehall. Chair.
• Governor, Marsden Heights Community College, Nelson, Lancashire, 2008.
• CXL Lancashire Ltd, Community Leadership
• Russian Government Sochi Organising Committee, Consultant, 2010 - 2014
• 2012 North West Group HE Representative
• RUSI Homeland Security and Resilience: Far Right Politics and Community Cohesion, 2013
• Visiting Professor the University of Gujrat Pakistan 2008 on going.