School of Psychology
Darwin Building, DB114
Subject Areas: Health, Psychology
Anja has developed a strong interest in translational neurosciences/health psychology/HE teaching focusing on
- clinical trials
- Biomarkers of psychiatric disorders in context with somatic diseases
- Neurodegenerative and inflammatory chronic illnesses and the link to psychological wellbeing
- Internet-based/ self-help therapeutic interventions
- Psychoneuroendocrinology/ -immunology of stress, fatigue and depression
Throughout her career she has enjoyed traversing the interface between different scientific disciplines. She has a strong interest in translational neurosciences focussing on clinical trials, health psychology, psychoneuroendocrinology/ -immunology and biomarkers of psychiatric disorders in context with somatic diseases, neurodegenerative and inflammatory disorders and their interaction with psychological wellbeing.
Anja studied Psychology at Albrechts-University Kiel, Germany before completing her PhD on Multiple Sclerosis- associated Depression in the Institute of Neuroimmunology and Multiple Sclerosis at the University Medical Centre Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany. In her second postdoctoral position at King’s College London (KCL) she have worked on developing a self-help manual aiming to reduce psychological distress in people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Anja is active member of the Brilliant Club, an organisation dedicated to widen participation and address educational disadvantage.
Moritz, S., Schroder, J., Klein, J. P., Lincoln, T. M., Andreou, C., Fischer, A.+, & Arlt, S+. (2016). Effects of online intervention for depression on mood and positive symptoms in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2016.04.033 **
2. Fischer, A.*, Schröder*, J., Vettorazzi, E., Pöttgen, J., Lau, S., Heesen, C.,Moritz, S., Gold, S.M.. Effectiveness of a Web-based Treatment Program for Depression in Multiple Sclerosis – A Randomized Controlled Trial. (Lancet Psychiatry, 2015 Mar;2:217-23).
3. Fischer, A., Fischer, M., Nicholls, R. A., Lau, S., Poettgen, J., Patas, K., Heesen, C., Gold, S.M.. Validation of the Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (IDS) in Multiple Sclerosis-Associated Depression. (Brain and Behaviour, 2015 Sep;5(9):e00365).
4. Fischer, A., Otte, C., Krieger, T., Nicholls, R.A., Krüger, S., Ziegler, K.J., Schulz, K.H., Heesen, C., Gold, S.M. (2012). Decreased hydrocortisone sensitivity of T cell function in multiple sclerosis-associated major depression. Psychoneuroendocrinology 37,1712-1718.
Since Mar 2016 Developing a theoretical model of pain in MS for the purpose of designing treatment
Since Feb 2015 Development and pilot testing of a self-help manual tackling psychological distress in
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
2013-2014 AERCONN: Sports Intervention Randomised Controlled Trial in Mildly Impaired
2013-2014 NEUCONN: Natural History Study on Progression Prediction Markers
2013-2014 Validation of the Inventory of Depressive Symptoms (IDS) in MS associated
2012- 2015 Evaluation of a web-based Depression Treatment Programme in MS, Epilepsia
2012 - 2013 Psychoneuroimmunology of early life stress
2012 - 2013 Impacts of Early life stress on MRI parameters and salivary cortisol in MS
Jul - Sep 2011 Dynamic Glucocorticoid Receptor Sensitivity in MS Relapse as opposed to
2011 - 2014 Biological Underpinnings of Borderline Personality Disorder
2011-2014 Pregnancy in MS: Immunological Changes Associated with Altered Relapse Rate
in the Course of Pregnancy and Relapse Rebound Postpartum
2010 - 2012 Reduced T-cell Hydrocortisol Sensitivity in MS Depression
2010 -2011 Glucocorticoid Receptor Dysfunction as a Biomarker of Multiple-Sclerosis
(MS)-Associated Depression and Fatigue
Aug - Sep 2010 Linguistic Alignment in Asperger’s Syndrome (University of York, UK)
Current research interests
King’s College London
King’s College Health Psychology
June 2016 British Society of Gastroenterology (Liverpool, UK)
Sept 2015 Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference 2015 (London, UK)
Nov 2013 Deutsche Gesellschaft für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie, Psychosomatik und
Nervenheilkunde Kongress (Berlin, Germany)
Oct 2013 29th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple
Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) (Copenhagen, Denmark)
Sep. 2013 Course on Statistical Parametric Mapping (SPM) (Hamburg, Germany)
Jun 2013 2nd Conference of the International MS Cognition Society (IMSCOGS) (Zurich, Switzerland)
2012 Joint International Congress of the American Society for Reproductive Immunology (ASRI) and the European Society for Reproductive Immunology
(ESRI) (Hamburg, Germany)
2011 41st Annual Meeting of the International Society of Psychoneuroendocrinology
(ISPNE) (Berlin, Germany)