Research at Westlakes

West Cumbria has a rapidly developing research community and UCLan Westlakes is a focal point for research excellence in the region.

The Westlakes campus provides dedicated facilities for research students including access to high performance computing facilities in our computational design laboratory.

Research students also benefit from IT and online resources and comfortable working environments.

The Applied Policy Science Unit (APSU) is an independent political science research unit aligned with the School of Law and Social Science at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) and based at the Westlakes Science and Technology Park, near Whitehaven in West Cumbria.

UCLan has a world leading research programme with long-standing strengths in the areas of physics, law and history. These have been supplemented through a substantial investment programme leading to the emergence of research centres in the areas of nuclear, digital manufacturing, fire science, sustainability, sports science, philosophy, mental health, business, the creative industries, deaf studies, forensic science and criminology and criminal justice.

A research degree at UCLan aims to build on your existing knowledge of a subject so that, through your supervised research, you can make an original contribution to a specific area of study. Students gain expertise in a specialist area together with training in a range of high level transferable skills.

  • MSc Research in Tourism Management 
  • MSc Research in Tourism Management UCL919 
  • MSc Research Project Management 

For more information about these courses please contact Dr Rick Wylie on 01946 517204.

Depending on the subject area, supervisors can be drawn from local University staff or staff at Preston. The application process for a research degree is administered by the Graduate Research Office who will assist you with the application process, including identifying a possible supervisor.

For more information check out our innovative research programmes and research degrees.