Skip to main content

Postgraduate Students – First Few Days

As a postgraduate student this won't be your first time studying at university. However, we are glad to welcome you to the University and hope that the information below will be useful to ensure your first few days are as stress-free as possible and assist you in starting your postgraduate studies.

Need some help and support in your first few weeks? If you’ve got a query on anything from enrolment to timetabling or student finance our team is here to help. Simply call +44 (0)1772 891990.

The first instalment of your postgraduate student loan should be paid into your bank on the day your course begins. If you need help applying for funding, or your loan is delayed for any reason, the Student Financial Support Team may be able to help. They can also advise if you have received your funding but would like to find out if you are eligible for any additional financial assistance.

Please be aware that the first instalment of your fees will need to be paid to the University and you may need to set aside part of this loan payment to meet this requirement. See our guide to paying your fees at UCLan for details of the instalment options available to you.

Don't forget, as a postgraduate student, you will be eligible for a student bank account, and can enjoy incentives such as free gifts and interest free overdrafts. Shop around for the best deals. Alternatively, you should be able to update your current bank account and get similar benefits. If you need a letter to confirm you are studying with us, please use our online request service.

The Student Portal is your gateway to all your course information, advice and learning tools needed to support you in your studies. You can also access your personal timetable via the Student Portal. Please note this is not applicable to Postgraduate Research students.

You may be required to pay Council Tax. If you are a full-time student and living in a hall of residence you will be exempt from paying Council Tax. The same applies if you're living in a property where all the adult residents are also full-time students, but you will need an exemption certificate. However, if you are living in a property that is occupied by a mixture of full-time students and part-time or non-students, then you will have to pay your share of a household Council Tax bill. Further guidance on how to check your eligibility or apply for an exemption certificate can be found on our Student Support pages.

Your first week is packed with useful induction activities delivered online. Check out what else is on:

  • Information on clubs and societies membership as well as volunteering opportunities will be available at the Students’ Union building where you can talk to staff and students on how to get involved.
  • Claim your free Sports Membership at Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre
  • Online Medical Centre registration
  • Virtual tour of the library
  • Meet staff online from our student support services who will answer any queries on finance, tuition fees, wellbeing, healthcare, academic support
  • Collect your UCLan student ID card if not received at your home address. Complete your form at Keep checking back on the Students’ Union website to find out more about organised fun social activities.

We can help with letters about confirmation of study, through to bank letters and council tax exemption. Request documentation from the university using our online service. If you require a letter urgently, please head to The <i> Student Information Centre.

The UCLan library offers thousands of books, excellent computer facilities and staff support. Capacity of the Library has been reduced as a result of social distancing measures and the health and safety of staff and students is a priority, however all students with a valid UCLan card will be able to access the Library 24/7 – unless it is at capacity. The Library team publishes live occupancy statistics so that students can plan ahead to decide whether to make a journey to the building.

As well as a wide range of books and journals, there are computer rooms, meeting rooms and reading areas. A “click and collect” service for books is also available for additional convenience.

The number of students able to enter the Library will be restricted in line with prevailing government guidelines. You can also find out how things work in the Library by completing online Library and IT Inductions.

The print shop, UCLan Print is open during usual office hours, and you can have large format or specialist items printed there.

Student Services provides a wide range of student support services. These services are in place to assist students in reaching their full academic potential and enabling them to benefit from a rewarding and enjoyable student experience.

Student support is available in the following areas: Wellbeing, Inclusive support, Mental Health, Counselling, Accommodation, Financial support, Careers, Mentoring, Faith and much more.

The Student Information Centre, or The <i>, is a single point of access to all our student support services and has a highly efficient team ready to help you with any query you may have relating to University life. The Information Centre is a valuable source of help and information for all students throughout the year, but it is particularly useful for new students starting University. If as a new student, you need any support with any aspect of starting at University, please contact The <i>.

If you are studying a Postgraduate Taught programme, you will also receive academic administrative support from one of our Course Administration Support (CAS) Hubs support hubs. These hubs will provide face-to-face help and guidance on anything from timetable and course enquiries to professional placements and module registration. If you are a Postgraduate Research student please contact for all help and enquiries in the first instance.

The Graduate Research Training Team provides all Post Graduate Research (PGR) students with high quality opportunities for training, development and support enabling you to get the most out of your doctoral studies. PGR Training covers a wide range of topics from starting out and gaining essential

We know that one of the reasons that students choose to come to UCLan is for the on-campus experience, to soak up the culture and for the excellent student support. It’s important to us that you still receive the best possible experience and we are therefore planning a mixture of both face-to-face and online teaching, with timetables adjusted to limit the number of students on campus at any one time where necessary. Our main Preston campus will be staying open 7 days a week to allow for a more flexible timetable.

Face-to-face interaction

Our courses will start at the same time as planned and we want to deliver as much face-to-face teaching in accordance with social distancing as we can, as we know this is important to many of you. Teaching in small groups, seminars and tutorials will be crucial to your experience and lab-based learning, studios and specialist teaching that can be conducted in-person with social distancing applied will go ahead as normal.

Online lectures

We will be delivering interactive lectures online so you can watch at a time suitable to you. Our digital learning provides a flexible and interactive experience and gives repeated access to material. In some cases, we believe that this form of learning will actually be preferable to large traditional lectures as it provides greater flexibility to meet your needs and encourages greater interaction.

To start your studies with us it is important that you have a computer to ensure you can engage and interact with the digital learning environment we will be providing.

Many of our on-campus learning spaces and classrooms are equipped with wired and wireless connectivity for the Microsoft Surface range of devices.

We advise that you register with us, or a local NHS GP as soon as you arrive at UCLan, rather than waiting until you become ill. The University of Central Lancashire has its own on-campus Medical Centre located in Foster Building and you can register in person or by calling 01772 892598. For dental treatment, you will need to register via the NHS Helpline.

If you have a low household income, you may be eligible for the NHS Low Income Scheme which could help you pay for prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and more.

In order to apply, you should complete the HC1 form once enrolled on your course and in receipt of your student finance as this will ensure you are providing correct and accurate information. Complete the form online. The team in The <i> are also on hand to help assist when completing your form.

Whilst the COVID-19 Pandemic is still affecting the UK, you may be asked a series of questions before attending any medical appointments or offered a telephone appointment in the first instance.

If you’ve recently moved to study at the University of Central Lancashire, don’t forget that you may need to update your electoral register information to ensure you are able to vote in the event of an election.

You can vote in person, by postal vote or by proxy. To make sure your voice is heard register to vote.

Check out our useful information section to help get your first few weeks off to a flying start!