Skip to main content

International Students – first few days

The first few days at University can be very daunting for any new student, but when you’re also arriving in a new country, we know it can be even more overwhelming. Please don’t worry, there will be plenty of people around to help you on your way. You’ll soon feel right at home. Follow the handy steps below to make your first few days stress-free.

Starting university this September? Before you start there are a few important things you need to do. Use our checklist to make sure you have everything covered before you join us.

Need some help and support in your first few weeks? If you’ve got a query on anything from enrolment to timetabling or student finance our team is here to help. Simply call +44 (0)1772 891990.

Enrol prior to arriving in the UK, in order to start your UCLan experience.

Enrolment is the formal step which confirms your status as a student at the University of Central Lancashire and enables your access to all University services. As soon as we've emailed your username and password you should use these to enrol on your course.

This should take no longer than 10 minutes and must be done before you travel to the UK. The process will ask you to upload colour copies of your identity, immigration and qualification documents as necessary.

Please ensure you bring with you in your luggage any documents you are asked to provide when enrolling or travelling to the UK. This is because you will be asked to show them in person at some stage during your first semester. This may include:

  • Passport, birth certificate or driving licence
  • Visa letter from the UK Home Office
  • Confirmation of Acceptance to Study Letter
  • Original Academic Qualification Certificates
  • Biometric Residence Permit (if you have one)
  • ATAS Certificate (if required)

Once you have your UCLan username and password, you can access your Online Timetable. You'll have a busy schedule during your first few days, so make sure you've checked your weekly timetable on the Student Portal. You can also access your timetable online.

Keep checking back daily as new sessions are being added – it should start being populated five weeks prior to your course start date.

We know that one of the reasons that international students choose to come to UCLan is for the on-campus experience, to soak up the culture and for the excellent student support. It’s important to us that you still receive the best possible experience and we are therefore planning a mixture of both face-to-face and online teaching, with timetables adjusted to limit the number of students on campus at any one time where necessary. Our main Preston campus will be staying open 7 days a week to allow for a more flexible timetable.

Our courses will start at the same time as planned and we want to deliver as much face-to-face teaching in accordance with social distancing as we can as we know this is important to many of you. Teaching in small groups, seminars and tutorials will be crucial to your experience and lab-based learning, studios and specialist teaching that can be conducted in-person with social distancing applied will go ahead as normal.

If when you arrive in the UK you are required to self-isolate for 14 days, we will ensure that we deliver your first classes online too so that you don’t miss out on your learning.

We will be delivering interactive lectures online so you can watch at a time suitable to you. Our digital learning provides a flexible and interactive experience and gives repeated access to material. In some cases, we believe that this form of learning will actually be preferable to large traditional lectures as it provides greater flexibility to meet your needs and encourages greater interaction.

To start your studies with us it is important that you have a computer to ensure you can engage and interact with the digital learning environment we will be providing.

Many of our on-campus learning spaces and classrooms are equipped with wired and wireless connectivity for the Microsoft Surface range of devices. If getting access to a device is going to be a problem for you, there may be additional support available so please get in touch with us and we can discuss some solutions.

Most international students are entitled to see an NHS Doctor free of charge during their time at University. We advise that you register with a Doctor as soon as you arrive at UCLan, rather than waiting until you become ill. The University of Central Lancashire has its own on-campus Medical Centre located in Foster Building and you can register for this service via the Medical Centre website or by calling +44 (0)1772 892598. Alternatively, you can register with a local NHS GP.

For dental treatment, you will need to search for an NHS dentist in your area and contact them to see if they are accepting new patients. Dental treatment at an NHS registered dentist is only subsidised by the NHS so is not completely free like other healthcare services. As such, you should expect to pay for all your appointments and towards any treatment required.

Please note: If you are using the 6-month 'student visitor' route, or the 6-month 'short-term student' route, you should make sure you have private health insurance from the beginning of your stay.

Whilst the COVID-19 Pandemic is still affecting the UK, you may be asked a series of questions before attending any medical appointments or offered a telephone appointment in the first instance.

If your visa requires you to register with the police you will need to create an account on the Lancashire Constabulary Website either before your arrival in the UK or no more than seven days after arrival. Once you have created your online account, you will be able to make an appointment to see someone from the Police in order to get you certificate. Important Note: You will NOT be registered with the Police until you have attended your appointment and collected your certificate.

For further information on how you register for an appointment please contact The <i>.

Regardless of the device you’re using, if you are planning to watch or record programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, you will need a TV license. Further information on TV licensing is available via the TV Licensing website.

If you are a full-time student and living in a hall of residence or a property where all the adult residents are also full-time students, you should be exempt from paying Council Tax.

However, if you are living in a property that is occupied by a mixture of full-time students and part-time or non-students, then you will have to pay your share of a household Council Tax bill. Further guidance on how to check your eligibility or apply for an exemption certificate can be found on our Student Support pages.

As well as for Council Tax exemption, you may also need letters confirming your student status to give to the bank, your embassy or other organisations for a range of reasons. You can request this by using our online letter request service.

You will need to open a UK bank account during your stay at UCLan and it's best to do that as soon as possible, especially if you've brought cash with you from your home country. There are branches of all major UK banks in Preston city centre so that you can make the choice that best suits your needs. You will need to request a letter from the <i> Student Information and Support Centre by using the online request form. This will then be given to the bank confirming your status as a student. Be sure to check the process for opening an account with your chosen bank as there may be visiting restrictions and you may need an appointment.

The UCLan library offers thousands of books, excellent computer facilities and staff support. The library is open 24/7 but only for the days that students are allocated to come onto campus, to help us reduce the number of people in the building in line with social distancing guidelines.

As well as a wide range of books and journals, there are computer rooms, meeting rooms and reading areas. A “click and collect” service for books is also available for additional convenience. The number of students able to enter the Library will be restricted in line with prevailing government guidelines. You can also find out how things work in the Library by completing online Library and IT Inductions.

The print shop, UCLan Print is open during usual office hours, and you can have large format or specialist items printed there.

Student Services provides a wide range of student support services. These services are in place to assist students in reaching their full academic potential and enabling them to benefit from a rewarding and enjoyable student experience.

Student support is available in the following areas: Wellbeing, Inclusive support, Mental Health, Counselling, Accommodation, Financial support, Careers, Mentoring, Faith and much more.

The Student Information Centre, or the <i>, is a single point of access to all our student support services and has a highly efficient team ready to help you with any query you may have relating to University life. The Information Centre is a valuable source of help and information for all students throughout the year, but it is particularly useful for new students starting University. If as a new student, you need any support with any aspect of starting at University, please contact the <i>.

If you have any queries or concerns during your time at UCLan, you'll find a team of friendly, and knowledgeable Student Advisors at UCLan’s Student Information Centre, commonly known as the <i>, who are available to assist.

You will also receive academic administrative support from one of our Course Administration Support (CAS) Hubs support hubs. These hubs will provide face-to-face help and guidance on anything from timetable and course enquiries to professional placements and module registration.

When you enrol on a UCLan course, you automatically become a member of the Students’ Union. This means you can take advantage of all the opportunities available to you throughout the year, as well as joining their wide range of welcome events and activities.

The Students’ Union is independent from the University and their mission is to ‘make life better for students’. With over 100 student groups including religious, cultural, political, academic, arts, media, performance, sports or volunteering, there’s something for everyone to get involved in- no matter your interest or ability! Joining a Sports Club or a student-led society is a great way to meet like-minded people and make lasting friendships at University.

The Students’ Union also has an advice centre, located on Fylde Road where you can go for impartial information and support about your studies, employment and accommodation rights. They can mediate with landlords, employers and the university if necessary. SU advice can be booked by emailing as well as dropping into their advice centre.