Physics with Astrophysics
Couple your passion for stars and galaxies with an understanding of the fundamentals of all matter, by combining a focus on Astrophysics with the wider perspective of Physics.
This course brings together aspects of two of our degrees to offer a programme that’s full of possibilities. It covers a comprehensive range of topics, from quantum physics to the structure of the universe. As such, you’ll gain an in-depth knowledge of the laws of physics, and of the stars and galaxies, together with mathematical skills and practical laboratory experience.
It’s a popular route if you want to keep your options open, as it not only provides a solid base you can build on with further study, but also comes with the chance to switch your focus to one of our other physics-based courses. You could even take the sandwich year option, by adding a year’s study abroad or working on a placement as part of your degree.
On completing our BSc qualification after three years of study you can opt to study for an additional year to achieve our MPhys degree. By the time you graduate, you should be a proven problem solver ready to take on challenges with creative thinking. With this ability – coupled with the practical skills you’ll develop by planning experiments, and processing, analysing and interpreting data – you’ll be ready to pursue a range of exciting careers.
Why study with us
- Physics and Astronomy is ranked 2nd in the North West for research intensity (CUG, 2022). Research intensity is a measure of the amount of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.
- You’ll learn at one of the UK’s best-equipped teaching observatories, with 20+ telescopes, including one of the most powerful available.
- This course is shaped by world-leading work in astrophysics and physics, with pioneering research in nanoscience, computational and experimental physics.
Discover the amazing recreation of the sun
What you’ll do
- Because this course has the same introductory modules as our Physics and Astrophysics courses, you could opt to make a change at the end of your first year.
- If you’re doing well and you’d like to focus on research, you’ll have the chance to step up into our four-year MPhys at the end of your second year.
- You can choose to take a sandwich year between your second and third year, whether studying abroad or gaining valuable skills and experience on a work placement.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Visit us on a university Open Day
Come and discover why our campus is the perfect place for you. You can ask current students about their experiences and immerse yourself in campus and accommodation tours.Register for an Open Day
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the IOP, the professional body and learned society for physics in the UK and Ireland. On completion of this course graduates can progress towards Chartered Physicist (Phys) status.
Our MPHys (Hons) Physics with Astrophysics course offers the kind of skills and knowledge that places you among the most employable graduates in the world, ready to pursue a wide range of careers.
The analytical and mathematical skills you’ll develop on this course come at a premium across many industry sectors. Coupled with the advanced scientific knowledge the degree offers, these skills can open various career paths, from government and science to finance and business. Many of our graduates have gone on to work in research institutes and laboratories, while others have become teachers, analysts and even journalists.
If you’re aiming for a career in scientific research, our four-year MPhys qualification offers an excellent route – providing a greater depth of study and a greater focus on research. As the first two years are the same as the BSc programme, you can enrol onto the MPhys course at first, then decide which path to take after your second year.
As part of the course, you can opt to spend a year away from campus, whether studying abroad with one of our academic partners or working on a placement in industry. A placement provides a valuable opportunity to build on your first two years of study, as well as gaining the kind of practical experience and real-world know-how that can radically improve your career prospects.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page