Mathematical physics celebrates our mathematical universe. Alongside the insight that physics brings, you will develop expertise in topics such as fluid dynamics and chaos theory.
Why study with us
- 1stin the UK for academic supportNational Student Survey (Physics and Astronomy) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 6thin the UK for overall positivityNational Student Survey (Physics and Astronomy) (compared with unis in the Guardian University Guide)
- 2ndin the North West for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Physics and Astronomy)
- In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF), 90% of Physics research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent overall (4/3 stars)
- You can specialise in the mathematics behind physics – something that employers are craving. Reduced experiments to enhance the mathematical physics content.
- Access state-of-the-art laboratories, including the Moses Holden Telescope at Alston Observatory, plus crystal growth facilities, magnetometers and atomic-resolution microscopes.
What you'll do
- Years 1 and 2 of all our Institute of Physics accredited programmes are devoted to IoP Core of Physics topics, including experimental work.
- Intensified mathematical content; gaining a deeper mathematical understanding of physics.
- Common first year of study that provides students an opportunity to switch between all of our programmes if appropriate.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Study in world class facilities
- This course is accredited by the IOP, the professional body and learned society for physics in the UK and Ireland. On completion of this course graduates can progress towards Chartered Physicist (Phys) status.
MPhys Mathematical Physics provides the analytical skills and mathematical knowledge which are in high demand across a range of industries, and service sector paving the way for graduate careers in research, technology, finance and more.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary
This course is based in the School of Engineering and Computing
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page