Mathematical physics celebrates our mathematical universe. Alongside the insight that physics brings, you will develop expertise in topics such as fluid dynamics and chaos theory.
Why study with us
- In the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF), 90% of Physics research rated as world-leading or internationally excellent overall (4/3 stars)
- You can specialise in the mathematics behind physics – something that employers are craving. Reduced experiments to enhance the mathematical physics content.
- Physics and Astronomy is ranked 2nd in the North West for research intensity (CUG, 2022). Research intensity is a measure of the amount of staff involved in high-quality research in the university.
What you'll do
- Years 1 and 2 of all our Institute of Physics accredited programmes are devoted to IoP Core of Physics topics, including experimental work.
- Intensified mathematical content; gaining a deeper mathematical understanding of physics.
- Common first year of study that provides students an opportunity to switch between all of our programmes if appropriate.
This course is taught face-to-face at one of our UK campuses.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Have an offer to study this September?
Received an offer to study a course at UCLan? Book your offer holder day for the opportunity to explore life here and chat to our current students.Book your offer holder day
Study in world class facilities
- This course is accredited by the IOP, the professional body and learned society for physics in the UK and Ireland. On completion of this course graduates can progress towards Chartered Physicist (Phys) status.
MPhys (Hons) Mathematical Physics provides the analytical skills and mathematical knowledge which are in high demand across a range of industries, and service sector paving the way for graduate careers in research, technology, finance and more.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
This course is based in the School of Natural Sciences located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page