On our MChem Chemistry (Foundation Entry) course we’ll give you an introduction to all the traditional elements of physical, organic, inorganic, analytical and ‘green’ chemistry, as well as a range of practical laboratory skills. It provides the perfect stepping stone to an MChem, the established mainstream route to becoming a chemist in the UK.
Why study with us
- 2ndin the North West for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Chemistry)
- Our optional sandwich placement year lets you put classroom learning into professional practice – gaining vital experience and radically enhancing your employability.
- You’ll get an insight into ‘green chemistry’ and how the chemical industry is adopting revolutionary processes which are more environmentally friendly.
- Our laboratories feature state-of-the-art equipment, including mass spectrometers, NMRs and electron microscopes.
What you'll do
- During your foundation year you’ll enhance your practical skills with a variety of hands-on Biology and Chemistry laboratory sessions and Physics workshops.
- You’ll have the chance to go on an optional sandwich placement year and gain valuable industry experience.
- You can use this foundation year as an opportunity to get to know other foundation students on different science-based degree programmes.
- FZC006: Biology
- FZC007: Chemistry
- FZC008: Biochemistry
- FZC009: Mathematics
- FZC010: Physics
- FZC018: Study Skills
You'll gain the biological knowledge needed for university level study in related areas. It is designed to provide a suitable level of knowledge and understanding of key biological concepts. You'll get a good foundation to enable you to progress to biologically related studies.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus aside from a small amount of online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by October 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
Chemistry at UCLan01 / 02
Hear from staff and students on our Chemistry course
View the course facilities
- This course is accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry. RSC are the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists with a worldwide community.
Our Chemistry (Foundation Entry) course is a stepping stone to careers in the chemical, pharmaceutical and food and drink industries.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Foundation Year Bursary
Our Foundation Year Bursary Scheme is for students starting a 4 or 5 year Undergraduate Degree programme.Find out more about Foundation Year Bursary
This course is based in the School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
For information on possible changes to course information, see our essential and important course information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at the University of Central Lancashire on our student contract page