Aviation - Pilot Programme
This course will be delivered from the Tayside Aviation Academy in Dundee. The course has been designed with the Aviation industry and our partner Tayside Aviation to enable you to train to become a professional pilot whilst also studying for a specialist Aviation degree.
Want to become a professional pilot and get a head start in your career in the Aviation industry? This course will give you an Air Transport Pilot Licence and the fundamental skills as well as the competencies to kick start your career as a commercial pilot.
This course has been developed in partnership with industry experts, Aviation 360 working with airlines, operators and approved flight training organisations to construct a complimentary degree in which the programme of study aligns to the pilot training requirements and enhances training with additional university learning. This course aligns to the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) requirements enabling you to exit with a professional pilot licence and the core skills that are needed not only at the start of your career but also as you progress towards a command role or into management.
Why study with us
- Delivered in partnership with leading industry flight training organisation Tayside Aviation.
- Delivered by current industry trainers, instructors and aviation professionals.
- The course is recognised by the Civil Aviation Authority who approve and regulate Tayside Aviation.
What you'll do
- You'll learn your theoretical knowledge using the latest industry-standard platforms. And learn aboard a modern training aircraft and utilise fully approved flight simulators and training aids.
- You'll be trained by current airline-standard instructors and trainers. Supported by academic experts in Aviation and Aerospace.
- This programme gives you the option of entering the airline industry at the start of level 6. Completing your degree whilst gaining valuable experience as an airline pilot. Or remaining at the Tayside Aviation academy to complete your training as a flight instructor.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
This course includes a dedicated module to prepare you to transition into industry. During the final stages of the programme you'll be working as a Flight Instructor. Which will give you invaluable experience and of course many hours as Pilot in Command. Which will assist you when applying for a First Officer position.
You'll also have the option in year 3 if you have a job offer from an airline. To undertake work-based modules to complete your studies whilst starting your career in Aviation.
Private Pilot License. This is available from Tayside Aviation as a pre-entry course. Alternatively, students obtaining a Private Pilot Licence from other ATOs may be subject to a pre-entry flight test.
This course requires you to attend an interview and to undertake an entry test.
CAA Class 1 Medical Certification (without restrictions) / UK CAA Class 1 Medical Certification (without restrictions for UK CAA licence).
This course requires you to obtain a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure by joining the PVG Scheme (Protecting Vulnerable Group scheme) in year 2.
- UCAS: 80 points at A2 or equivalent
- GCSE Maths and English at Grade C or above
- IELTS 6.0 with all components no lower than 5.5.
- Applicants with alternative entry qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and Bursaries
We have a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country and see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Other associated fees
This programme brings together professional pilot training with a degree programme. In addition to the degree fees, the pilot training costs are from £68,000 for the ATPL (Air Transport Pilot Licence), payable to Tayside Aviation. If a student wishes to include pre-entry training (PPL) then the fee would be £79,000.
This course is based in the School of Engineering located in the Faculty of Science and Technology
For information on possible changes to course information, see our Essential and Important Course Information
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Central Lancashire on our Student Contract page