Our BA (Hons) Accounting and Business course, based at our Burnley Campus, offers you the opportunity to gain a solid grounding in accounting, and an understanding of the other aspects of the business environment.
Why study with us
- 1stin the North West for graduate prospects (on track)Complete University Guide (Business and Management Studies)
- 1stin the North West for student satisfactionComplete University Guide (Business and Management Studies)
- We have strong links with industry to enhance your learning.
- Gain valuable insight into the nature of the accounting process and its varied applications in business. This includes subjects that are fundamental to understanding an enterprise's financial position.
- The programme focuses on the financial decision-making factors required in organisations by acknowledging the subjectivity and flexibility needed in best practice.
What you’ll do
- Put theory into practice with the opportunity to take an optional 48-week industry paid placement, in the UK or overseas.
- Develop an insight into accounting and business methods.
- If you’re interested in further study you can choose to seek exemptions from the accountancy professional bodies.
What our students say
I secured a year long placement within audit at Pricewaterhouse Coopers. I’m looking for a career in audit, after graduating, so this experience was amazing and gave me real practical experience.
Celebration of Success Event
- BM1100: Introduction to Financial Accounting
- BM1200: Introduction to Management Accounting
- BM1300: Information Systems and the Business Environment
- BM1005: Business Landscape
- BM1001: Creativity, Enterprise and Scholarship
BM1100: Introduction to Financial Accounting
Develop knowledge and understanding of the underlying principles and concepts relating to financial accounting and technical proficiency. By the use of double-entry accounting techniques including the preparation of basic financial statements.
Following the pandemic, we have found that some courses benefit from a blended learning and teaching approach. Therefore, the majority of your teaching will be face-to-face on campus, with some online teaching where we have learnt it works best.
Year 1 - 80% face-to-face, 20% online
Year 2 - 60% face-to-face, 40% online
Year 3 - 80% face-to-face, 20% online
Please note the delivery information for this course is accurate for the academic year 2023/24. The information displayed in this section may not yet accurately reflect how the course will be delivered in 2024/25 but this information will be updated by October 2023.
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of our published course information. However, our programmes are subject to ongoing review and development. Changing circumstances may cause alteration to, or the cancellation of, courses. Changes may be necessary to comply with the requirements of accrediting bodies or revisions to subject benchmarks statements. As well as to keep courses updated and contemporary, or as a result of student feedback. We reserve the right to make variations if we consider such action to be necessary or in the best interests of students.
View the course facilities
A successful entrepreneur who ran his own business for 15 years, gaining experience in marketing, sales, finance and management, which brings a real-world perspective to his teaching of business, finance and accounting subjects. Mohamed was awarded a first class honours degree in...
- We've been awarded the Small Business Charter (SBC) in recognition of our commitment to supporting student entrepreneurship, small businesses and the local economy. The SBC is an award for the UK’s world-class business schools.
Graduates will have accounting skills appropriate for work in the financial area of private or public sector organisations and will have the added advantage of possessing a thorough understanding of the many other functions within business.
Fees and funding
Scholarships and bursaries
We have a wide range of bursaries, scholarships and funds available to help support you whilst studying with us.
Select your country to see eligibility information and how to apply by selecting more info on the cards below.
Care Leaver Bursary
Our Care Leaver Bursary is for students who need extra support because they have been in care or are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Care Leaver Bursary
Estranged student support
Estranged Student Support Bursary is for students who need extra support because they are estranged from their parents.Find out more about Estranged student support
Students with financially dependent children may be eligible for our Dependants Bursary as part of our financial support package.Find out more about Dependants Bursary
Contextualised Admissions Bursary
We recognise that the last two years have been very challenging for young people and learning has been impacted. To help support students eligible for a contextualised offer we are offering a bursary of £250 in their first year of study.Find out more about Contextualised Admissions Bursary