Jargon Buster



Applicant Day Students holding offers may be invited to visit the university department to find out more and meet the tutors. 
Apply The name of the UCAS online application system.
BA This is the abbreviation for Bachelor of Art. This is a type of degree traditionally awarded to subjects based in the field of Art, Social Sciences and English etc.
Bachelor degree A degree awarded by a college or university to a person who has completed undergraduate studies.
BEng This is the abbreviation for Bachelor of Engineering. This type of degree is awarded to subjects in the field of Engineering.
BSc This is the abbreviation for Bachelor of Science. This type of degree is traditionally awarded to subjects based in the field of Science and Social Science. The BSc degree is not limited to traditional sciences.
Bursary A bursary is a monetary award that is granted on the basis of financial need and does not have to be repaid.
Campus university A university situated on one dedicated site, with student accommodation, teaching and research facilities, and leisure activities all together.
Changed course offer An alternative offer may be made if you haven’t met the conditions of the offers you accepted. 
Clearing Clearing is a system that operates after A Level results are published. It allows prospective students without a university place to apply for courses at universities where there are still vacancies.
Combined or Joint Honours degree A type of degree where you study two subjects.
Conditional Offer This is an offer of a place on a course, but to be accepted on the course you will need to meet the conditions – usually related to your exam results. This is the common type of offer made to students applying directly from school or college.
Deferred entry A student can apply for a university place but request that they start it the following year, thus deferring entry. Students who wish to take a GAP year do this to ensure they have a place at university for when they complete their year out.
Extra In a UCAS Undergraduate application, Extra is a service you can use to apply for alternative places if you do not hold an offer from your first five choices.
Firm choice The university you accept as your first choice in the UCAS application.
Foundation Degree This is usually a two year programme for students who do not have the appropriate level or coverage for an honours degree programme. It can be topped up to an honours degree.
Foundation Entry This provides a route to study honours degrees; students must undertake and pass an extra preliminary year of study.
Fresher This is the term commonly used to describe students in their first year at university.
Gap year A year away from education that some students take before going to university. Often students will use their gap year to travel or to gain work experience and additional qualifications.
Graduate This is the term used for a person who has completed and passed his or her degree and been awarded their qualification.
HE – Higher Education

This is education and training for students of 18 years and older, who have completed the required amount of study in further education, (college or sixth form). Institutions such as universities often provide Higher Education in the form of degree programmes.

Honours Degree (Hons) This is a degree programme taken at university. It is normally a first degree which lasts three or four years. 
Humanities Typically covers ‘Arts’ subjects such as history, literature, Classics, theology film, modern languages and drama.
Insurance choice The university you accept as your backup choice in the UCAS application.
Interview/Audition Some courses require students to attend an interview or audition before an offer can be made.
Open days Days when the university is open to students who are considering applying. They often include activities such as campus tours, subject talks, accommodation tours and finance talks.
Masters degree (MA, MSc, MPhil, MEd) Masters degrees are taught courses which allow students to extend their learning for one to two years after they have graduated from their first (Bachelors) degree. 
Module A module is a unit of study that explores a specific area within a subject.
Placement Year/ Sandwich Year This is a year of either work experience or study placement in another institution, which can be an optional or compulsory part of a university course. Students can opt to take their Placement Year in another country.
PhD Also known as a doctorate, this is the highest form of degree awarded and involves you carrying out research with little or no teaching. You need to have completed at least an undergraduate degree to study at this level.
Postgraduate A student who has completed an undergraduate degree and is studying for a higher degree such as a Masters or PhD.
Prospectus These are guides produced by individual universities detailing the unique information about that university and the courses it offers. 
Tariff The tariff system is a points system for entry into Higher Education. Some Higher Education institutions express their offer of a place at university in terms of a tariff point score rather than as grades.
Sandwich course The year of an undergraduate course where you work in an area relevant to the course you are studying.
Scholarship A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further their education.
Seminar Small group teaching, where students engage in discussion with other students and a member of staff.
SLC The Student Loans Company is a non-profit making Government-owned organisation to provide loans and grants to students in universities and colleges in the UK.
SFE Student Finance England, where students from England apply for their finance
Students’ Union An organisation that is run by students, is dedicated to the representation and support of the students at the university and promotes social activities
Track Where students can see their offers on the UCAS website
Tutorial  An individual or group opportunity for students to discuss their work with a tutor.
UCAS Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. This is the organisation that handles nearly all university applications.
Unconditional Offer This is an offer made by the admissions team which is not dependent on students reaching certain targets. This is often used when a student has already taken their exams and achieved the required grades.
Undergraduate A student studying for their first degree on a programme which normally lasts for three or fours years.
Undergraduate Masters Four year degrees such as Masters of Engineering (MEng), Masters of Science (MSci) etc which comprise three years of undergraduate level study, with a further year to gain a Masters qualification.
University A university is an institute of Higher Education which has the authority to award bachelors and higher degrees and which usually has research facilities.


« Back to the Parent page

Other Useful Info

Can a student bring a car to university?

As a city-centre campus, parking is very limited and is not available for those living in halls of residence. Students living in our halls of residence won’t need to travel by car – all the halls are within easy walking distance of all University buildings, the town centre, railway station and bus station.

For those living off campus at home or houses away from the main campus and the city centre, it may be easier to park at their accommodation.

On-campus parking permits are only available for those living more than 20 miles away, for a charge.

Are there opportunities for working while studying?

Many students take on part-time work to pay towards their University expenses and gain valuable employment experience. Being in the heart of the city, there are plenty of job opportunities close to campus.

The Bridge Student Employment Service is a one-stop shop for students at UCLan who are looking for part-time, temporary or holiday work.  The team here can help students to find appropriate job vacancies with specific skills or for those who want to work in a specific area.  All employers who register with The Bridge must agree to recognised standards such as minimum wage and health and safety regulations. 
So that studies won’t be affected, we recommend students work no more than 17 hours per week during term time.

« Back to the Parent page