AUC in the UK

First Few Weeks

First Few Weeks for AUC students

Moving to university is a big change, so we want to make sure your transition is as smooth as possible. The information on this page will introduce you to the university and help you start planning for your arrival in the UK.

The Preston Campus

Our Preston Campus

Preston is a bustling city, traditional yet with a young and lively atmosphere. Located a short distance from the coastline, the Lake District, and the larger cities of Manchester and Liverpool and only a 2 hour train journey to London, we’re ideally placed. Our city centre campus is compact and only 5 minutes walk away you’ll find shops, bars and restaurants and the railway station.

Take a virtual tour of our campus to have a look around, and check out our facilities and great places to enjoy student life.

Library and IT

Library and IT Induction

The UCLan library offers thousands of books, excellent computer facilities and staff support. It is also open 24/7 during term time to support you in your studies whether you’re an early bird or night owl. In your first few weeks you will have the opportunity to find out how things work in the Library by completing our AUC online induction.


Healthcare & Vaccinations

As you will be studying with us for over 6 months, you will be entitled to see an NHS doctor free of charge during your time at University. You must register with a Doctor as soon as you arrive at UCLan, rather than waiting until you become ill. The University of Central Lancashire has its own on-campus Medical Centre located in Foster Building. You can register in person or by calling 01772 892598. Alternatively, you can register with a local NHS GP.

Please note: For specialist treatment (usually undertaken in hospital) and for dental treatment you will need to use your private health insurance. For dental treatment, you will need to register via the NHS Helpline or register with the UCLan Dental Clinic located in Allen Building.

Due to several large outbreaks of measles in Europe we also strongly advise you ensure you have been vaccinated against MMR and Meningitis ACWY.

Visit the NHS's webpages or information about the vaccines against measles and meningitis.

Preston Campus

TV Licensing and Council Tax

Regardless of the device you’re using, if you are planning to watch or record programmes at the same time as they are broadcast, you will need a TV licence. Further information on TV licensing is available via the TV Licensing website or by calling 0300 790 6071

If you are a full-time student and living in a hall of residence or a property where all the adult residents are also full-time students, you should be exempt from paying Council Tax. However, if you are living in a property that is occupied by a mixture of full-time students and part-time or non-students, then you will have to pay your share of a household Council Tax bill. Further guidance on how to check your eligibility or apply for an exemption certificate can be provided by AUC support staff.

Money Matters

Banking & Student Accounts

You may need to open a UK bank account during your stay at UCLan. It's best to do this as soon as possible, especially if you've brought cash with you from your home country. There are branches of all major UK banks in Preston City Centre.

UCLan Facebook

Make Friends at UCLan

The UCLan Facebook community will give you an idea of what to expect from Preston life and is great way to help make friends and share ideas and information. We’ve created a group especially for AUC students which you can join here.

Register with police

Registering with the Police

If your visa requires you to register with the police you will need to do this within seven days of arrival in the UK. This can be done at the police station on Lancaster Road North.