The Journalism Diversity Fund was set up in 2005 with a donation of £100,000 from the Newspaper Licensing Agency (NLA).
It is supported by leading publishing companies wishing to join together to encourage those from ethnically and socially diverse backgrounds to train as journalists. The aim is to action real change and network with the talent and decision makers to ensure diversity is at the top of the agenda throughout our industry.
To be eligible for this award you MUST be able to meet ALL of the following criteria:
- provide proof that you have secured a place on an NCTJ-accredited course starting in the academic year September 2016-August 2017. Those who have already started a course are not eligible to apply – bursaries must be awarded prior to the course commencing. Please visit the schedule section of the Journalism Diversity Fund webpages for a guide as to when you should apply. Please note that bursaries are not available for undergraduate (BA) and distance learning courses.
- must come from a socially or ethnically diverse background;
- you are a British citizen residing in the UK;
- must be able to demonstrate a genuine commitment and potential to be a successful journalist through a range of journalism-related work experience (NB: due to the high standard of applicants, experience on a student newspaper is not sufficient);
- must not be in receipt of any other bursary award.
The bursaried courses are:
These courses are accredited by the National Council for the Training of Journalists.
Further information on eligibility and access to the applications forms are available on The Journalism Diversity Fund website.