You are here: Home / Support / Research / Research at UCLan / Other support

Student Support


Your Supervisory Team

Each student is allocated a Supervisory Team which will comprise your Director of Studies (DofS) plus one or two second supervisors who will have complementary expertise within the research area of your work.  Together your supervisors will provide academic and intellectual guidance and dialogue, feedback and review of your progress, and practical and project management assistance.

Your Research Degree Tutor (RDT)

Each School has at least one RDT who is your formal contact for matters relating to research students.  Among other duties, the RDT will provide advice on good practice and will oversee your individual progress.

Your Personal Tutor

You may decide to appoint a Personal Tutor who will provide mentoring and pastoral care during your study.  Your Personal Tutor will be a member of staff outside of your supervisory team. 

The Student Information Service (The ‘i’)

If you are a student from overseas you may have particular issues which require specialist advice.  These may concern accommodation, finances, or visa applications etc.  The ‘i’ - the Student Information Service – will be happy to help.  They are located in the Library.

The Advisory and Counselling Centre

Situated in Foster Building room 119, this integrated centre provides the following services:

  • Independent Academic Programmes Advice
  • Careers Advisory Service
  • Personal Counselling
  • International Student Advice
  • Disability/Learning Difficulty Support
  • Financial help
  • Access Fund Administration (Hardship Loans)

Students’ Union

The Students’ Union Advice Centre offers excellent support and guidance on a range of issues including finances, accommodation law, social security entitlements and so on