You are here: Home / Support / Money / Budgeting


Budgeting Tips

Whilst you are a student it is important you know what your income is, work out a budget and manage it well. Take a look at our Budgeting & Money Tips section.

Bank Accounts

In order to receive your Student Funding you will need to open or have opened a bank account. Many banks offer student accounts and offers vary from bank to bank.

Debt Advice

If you need advice and guidance about how to deal with debt then we recommend you speak to the Students' Union Advice Centre or Debt Questions.


Some students may be entitled to claim benefits while studying, dependent on their circumstances. To find out more about eligibility for benefits and how to claim, speak to the SU Advice Centre or the Citizens Advice Bureau.

As a general rule full time students are not allowed to claim means tested benefits. However over the summer vacation some full time students are allowed to claim benefits like Income Support, Job Seekers’ Allowance, Employment Support Allowance and Housing Benefit. The benefits relevant to you will depend on your individual circumstances. See the summer benefits leaflet for further information.

Council Tax

Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax. If the property is occupied by a mixture of full time students, part-time or non-students, it is not exempt from Council Tax, but you shouldn’t have to pay more than your own share.

For further information you can contact The 'i', UCLan Accommodation or the Government website.

Income Tax

Confused about how much Income Tax you should be paying as a student? Wondering whether you are due a Tax refund? Want to know how to reclaim Income Tax overpayments?

If so, you should check the Government's tax advice for students guide and tax checker.

For Financial Support Enquiries:

Telephone: 01772 895000 / Email: