Expense Claims

Students on some programmes may be eligible for support with placement expenses. Details of the different schemes available are below.


For students on bursaried health programmes commenced prior to August 2017

Students in receipt of NHS Bursaries may be eligible to claim travel/accommodation costs, providing the cost of travelling to and from placement is IN EXCESS of the student normal daily travel costs between the student term-time address and place of study. If student are eligible to claim mileage the student may also claim the cost of Car Parking at the placement site.
Full guidance regarding travel/accommodation expense claims can be found at: Travel/Accommodation expense claim guidance

NHS Bursary Scheme Rules

Completing your PPE Form

For students on health programmes commencing after 1st August 2017

Students starting a new nursing, midwifery or Allied Health Professional course on or after 1 August may be eligible to apply for financial support from the Learning Support Fund (LSF). This offers support for:

• Students with at least one dependent child (Child Dependants Allowance)
• Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses for a placement
• Students experiencing extreme financial hardship (Exceptional Support Fund)

Learning Support Fund Guidance Documentation.

Full guidance regarding travel/accommodation expense claims can be found at: Learning support fund guidance.


Students who are eligible for either an NHS bursary (pre 2017 August 2017 start) or Learning Support Fund (post August 2107 start) who find it difficult to travel to placements may be able to stay in temporary accommodation and claim costs towards this, provided this has been agreed in advance with the student’s Course Leader or Academic Lead for Work Based Learning.

AirBnB cannot be used as a form of accommodation, and accommodation may not be claimed for alternate placements.

Please note any claims submitted for processing which do not have written permission from the Course Leader or Academic Lead for Work Based Learning will be automatically rejected.

All Placement Expenses claim forms must be handed into Brook Hub (Brook BB204) for initial processing. The claim form will be checked for accuracy / discrepancies before being signed and forwarding to the NHS Student Bursaries Unit for processing.

Please note it is the students' responsibility to ensure the correct form is submitted.
ALL claims must include a copy of the student cover sheet to facilitate processing. Any forms submitted without this will be rejected.

Note: The student must use the cheapest form of transport available for the student journeys – the student must keep all receipts (i.e. bus or train tickets) and attach these to the student claim form. The student must use Google Maps and can only claim mileage for the shortest route each way, even if the student choose to use a different route.
If students are having difficulty in meeting travel/accommodation costs ‘up front’ the University operates a Short Term Loan assistance scheme which students may wish to apply for to cover the cost of the travel. Once bursary claims have been completed this loan can then be paid back directly.

Once travel forms have been processed by the WBLT team a note will be added to Starfish to allow students to keep track of travel claims.

Before you start - applying for accommodation

When you apply for accommodation check your options carefully. Many accommodation providers, including UCLan accommodation have different length contracts. Choose the options on your application form carefully and make sure the dates are appropriate for your course dates including any scheduled placements. There is lots of information about UCLan accommodation on our webpages at



Extending Accommodation

Some accommodation providers have set contract length, but most will allow you to stay for longer than the end date of the contract. Ask your landlord, or the manager of your hall of residence, about extensions in good time, usually 1-2 months before the end of your contract. It is worth noting that sometimes you might need to move rooms. NHS bursaries will not provide reimbursement of accommodation costs for extended contracts as finance is calculated on the length of your programme of study and is therefore considered when financial support is agreed.

If your landlord cannot allow you to extend please contact the Student Accommodation Service for assistance. They will be able to outline available options including our own halls of residence (subject to availability).

UCLan Accommodation

If you have a contract within UCLan halls you can see your occupancy dates by logging into www.uclan.ac.uk/livingatuclan and clicking on Summary in the top menu. If you need any advice or assistance with UCLan halls please contact StudentAccommodation@uclan.ac.uk