Face Covering Exemptions
26 Oct 2020
As you will be aware, we have asked everyone to wear face coverings when in buildings on our campuses or where social distancing might be compromised.
We understand that for various reasons some people are unable to wear a face covering and recognise that they may feel more comfortable attending campus with the ability to easily identify to others that they are exempt from having to wear a face covering. We also recognise that seeing someone without a face covering can cause significant anxiety for others, as they are mainly intended to protect others and not the wearer.
In light of this, we are making available visors or exemption lanyards for people that are exempt from wearing a face covering.
The circumstances where people may not be able to wear a face covering include (but are not limited to):
- those who cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical or mental illness, impairment, or disability
- where putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe distress
- if the wearer is providing assistance to someone who relies on lip reading, clear sound or facial expressions to communicate
- to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury, to yourself or others ‒ including if it would negatively impact on your ability to exercise or participate in a strenuous activity
Alternatives to face coverings
If you are unable to wear a face covering and therefore require an alternative:
- Order your visor or special lanyard by completing this form.
- You will be sent an email providing you with details of where to collect the visor or exemption lanyard.
- You will need to take a copy of this confirmation email, along with your UCLan ID Card at the time of collection.
- The Inclusive Support team will record any new disclosures of disability and follow-up with students if required and where consent is given.
There are now five different colours of lanyards you will see on campus:
Blue – staff
Red – students
Navy – contractors
White – visitors
Green with sunflowers - staff and students with a face covering exemption