You are here: Home » News » Brexit advice for EU students

Brexit advice for EU students

07 Jan 2020

students walk past harris building

If you’re a student from a European Union country and are wondering what effect the UK’s departure from the EU will have on your family, your studies or your stay in the UK, the University can offer help and advice.  Here you can find out the most up-to-date information at this time.

It is expected that the UK will leave the EU on 31 January 2020 and freedom of movement will continue to be in place until the end of the implementation period on 31 December 2020. Below are some questions and answers that can help. As things change, we will update the information.

The UK Government confirmed that EU students who begin their degree on or before the 2020/21 academic year would remain eligible for home student fees and financial support for the duration of their degree, regardless of whether or not a Withdrawal Agreement had been agreed.

Will you have to apply for a visa?

As a deal has been agreed, current students will not need a visa. However, you should apply for ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status, if you intend to stay in the UK beyond 31 December 2020, through something called the EU Settlement Scheme. This is free of charge and you can apply here or through a mobile app. The Student Immigration and Compliance Team (SICT) will be hosting briefing sessions throughout 2020 to discuss the application process. You can find more information on the Government website.

Will my degree still be recognised in the EU?

UK degrees are recognised in many countries through a number of agreements. Some of these agreements are not related to the European Union, which means that after the UK leaves the EU, most academic qualifications will still be recognised.

Recognition of some professional qualifications is more complicated, but universities across the UK are working to ensure that the mutual recognition of professional qualifications continues.

Will I be able to stay in the UK after graduating?

If you have been in the UK for less than five years you will be able to apply for ‘pre-settled status’. This will allow you to remain in the UK for up to five years, when you can apply for ‘settled status’, which will allow you to remain in the UK indefinitely. If you have already been in the UK for five years, you can apply for ‘settled status’ straight away.

Will the ERASMUS+ scheme change?

As a Withdrawal Agreement has been agreed, you will still be able to study in the UK through the ERASMUS+ scheme up to and including 2020/21, when the current scheme ends. The UK Government has committed to negotiating access to the ERASMUS+ successor programme.

Can I still apply for research council funding for my PhD?

Under any Brexit scenario, all EU students will remain eligible to apply for UKRI-funded PhD scholarships starting in or before the 2020/21 academic year. Find out more information about PhD scholarships.

So what do I do now?

For the time being keep an eye out for further updates and information regarding the briefing sessions. If you want to ask any questions now, email us, call into the <i> or pop into the SICT office in Foster Building.

Best wishes
The Student Immigration & Compliance Team (SICT)
Room FB113 – Foster Building