While you are using materials from the Special Collections you are responsible for its care. Please follow these guidelines:
- Gloves are available to use with the materials but it is not essential to wear them as long as your hands are clean and dry. In some cases use of gloves is advisable as age means some of the materials can irritate the skin. Try to handle the materials as little as possible.
- Do not write on, or mark the materials in any way and never use scissors, correcting fluid or Post-it notes in the collection rooms.
- No pens should ever be used in the Special Collections rooms. Propelling pencils can be provided.
- Do not lean on the materials and always ensure the surface you are using is large enough to hold the item and clear of objects. It should not overhang the edge and pencils etc. caught underneath can do damage.
- Please return all materials to the boxes and coverings they are stored in and keep materials in the order they were given to you. If you find any item out of order or damaged please report this to the member of library staff.
- Place all materials used on the returns trolley provided before you leave.
- No food or drink should be taken into the Special Collection rooms.
- Coats and bags can be taken into the Special Collections Room, but please keep all bags off the tables.
- If you are struggling please ask the member of library staff supervising your access for help. However, help and advice concerning the content and context of Special Collections materials is not offered. The supervisory staff will be unable to assist you in your research or use of the materials beyond that information given on the UCLan web pages and printed material.