Broadcast, Film and Sound Archives
- DVD and Film Collection - The Library has a separate collection of feature films and TV series shelved on a ring unit on the 1st Floor. For film documentaries on particular subjects you will need to look on the library catalogue, as these will be shelved with books on the subject.
- You can also use the Documentary Film List which highlights the location of some of the films that the library holds.
- Alexander Street Video - Videos, films, documentaries and training materials in film and media related areas
- Box of Broadcasts - Enables students to choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels. The recorded programmes are then kept indefinitely and added to a growing media archive.
- Kanopy - Watch documentaries covering many subject areas including design, anthropology, education, visual arts, literature and many more. Kanopy also includes a host of independent films to view.
- FBIS Daily Reports - A multidisciplinary resource consisting of translated broadcasts, news agency transmissions, newspapers, periodicals, and government statements from nations around the globe.
- Screen Studies - This is a dynamic digital platform taking users from script to screen and beyond – offering a broad range of content from Bloomsbury and Faber & Faber to support moving image studies.
- North West Film Archive - Over 6000 moving images made in or about Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Cheshire, Merseyside and Cumbria. Films/clips can be purchased for a 'modest' fee by HE users.
- Culture Unplugged - This is an online film archive which contains documentaries, short films, talks and more.
- dig.ccmixter - Open source music site which offers free music for commercial use.
- The Internet Archive - A non-profit library of millions of free books, films, software and music. Please check the licensing requirements for each clip.
- Tineye - A free tool which searches 20 million Creative Commons Flickr images by colour. You can select up to 5 colours and move the dividing bar between colours to increase/decrease their prominence within the image. A colour extractor allows you to upload an image and see the hex colour and proportions in the image.
- Worth Global Style Network (WGSN) Lifestyle & Interiors – Leading global trend forecasting service and product development tool focused on the ever-evolving needs of the home and interiors industries (including furniture, lighting, print and pattern, bedding, bath and tabletop).
Nexis - contains both full text and abstract records of news and business intelligence drawn from over 29,000 sources including local, regional and national newspapers, newsletters, magazines and trade journals, newswires, broadcast transcripts, company news databases, government and legal documents. Nexis gives the text of articles only - it does not include photographs or formatting.
- Artemis Primary Source - Includes 19th Century British Library Newspapers collection, 19th
Century Periodicals, Illustrated London News Historical Archive from 1842-2003,
the Picture Post Historical Archive 1938-1957. Also includes The
Economist Historical Archive from 1843-2011, Times Digital Archive from
1785-2011, the Daily Mail Historical Archive from 1896-2004 and the Financial
Times Historical Archive from 1843-2011. Use Artemis Primary Sources to search
all the collections simultaneously.
- The Guardian and The Observer Historical Archives - Every page as published. The Guardian from 1821-2003, The Observer from 1791-2003
- New York Times Archive - Digitised archive from 1851-2008
- The Telegraph Historical Archive (1855-2000) – More than 100 years of this major UK national newspaper can be viewed in full digital facsimile format, with advertisements, news stories and images that capture 19th -21st century culture and society.
- Passport GMID - global market information database and analysis tool containing comprehensive data and reports across all industries, countries and consumers.
- Financial Analysis Made Easy (FAME) – detailed financial and ownership information for 2.5 million UK companies
- OSIRIS - the international version of the FAME database containing listed company accounts from around the world.
- HS Talks - Lectures on business and management topics, including marketing and consumer behaviour.
- BRAD – advertising intelligence including actual costs for advertising on the television, radio, web/digital media, out-of-home (transport/roadside/venues), in newspapers and magazines. Circulation/readership/audience data is also available
- World Advertising Research Center (WARC) – marketing and advertising intelligence. WARC is the home of publications like ADMAP and the International Journal of Market Research. It also contains thousands of case studies
- Lexis Library – wealth of legal information sources including UK cases and legislation, journals and magazines (e.g. Harvey on Industrial Relations and Employment Law) and manuals (e.g. HMRC manuals)
- WestLaw – similar to Lexis Library, WestLaw provides access to UK cases and legislation and many journals (e.g. Journal of Business Law and Journal of Competition Law & Economics)