eResources and Databases
The library subscribes to a large collection of databases and you can look on the E-Databases A-Z list to see the full range. These include a range of multi-subject databases which are relevant to many subject areas. Depending on your topic you may find additional relevant material here.
There is no single database which contains references to all Photography journals. You will need to look at a range of resources. Useful places to start are listed below:
- a-n The Artists Information Company - A contemporary visual arts information site including the full text of a-n Magazine. Also includes practical information for artists and designers: artist's contract toolkit, codes of practice for visual arts, good exhibition practice, a what's on guide and more
- Art Full Text - Art Full Text and Art Abstracts provides the full text of 133 journals, plus references to articles in some 300 more. Subjects include art, architectural history, crafts, design, photography, film, and museology.
- ARTbibliographies Modern - ARTBibliographies Modern indexes art journals and notes exhibition catalogues, books, and other publications. References are accompanied by 'abstracts' [or summaries]. ABM is concerned with the 'modern' period, from approximately 1880 to date, although its coverage of photograph begins with the origins of photography. ABM covers all aspects of contemporary art, including photography, and expands into craft, design, and more.
- Arts & Humanities Database - This database features hundreds of titles covering Art, Architecture, Design, History, Philosophy, Music, Literature, Theatre and Cultural Studies.
- Design & Applied Arts Index [DAAI] - Is a comprehensive index to over 300 design and design-related journals. It contains data on over 27,000 designers, craftspeople, studios, firms and workshops. Subjects covered include animation, architecture, industrial design, interior design, furniture, ceramics, glass, jewellery, fashion, textiles, embroidery, advertising, packaging, photography, and much more. From 1987 to date.
- Box of Broadcasts - BoB enables staff and students to choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels. The recorded programmes are then kept indefinitely (no expiry) and added to a growing media archive
- BFI InView - British non-fiction film and television titles from the 20th century to the early 21st century.
- Worth Global Style Network (WGSN) Fashion - WGSN is an online news and information service providing up-to-date information on current topics in the fashion and style industries. It provides in-depth trend forecasts, coverage of key trade events, including international catwalks, analysis of retail sales, company profiles and reports on topics ranging from visual merchandising to street style.
- Newspaper Archives - Here newspapers can be viewed in full digital facsimile format, with advertisements, news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society.
Two newspaper archives that may be particularly useful are:
Picture Post Historical Archive - Picture Post’s innovative use of photo-journalism captured the imagination of the British people. In the era before television, it became the window on the world for ordinary people, bringing the major social and political issues of the day into popular consciousness.
- Lynda.com - For online help with photography gear, lighting, software, printing and more try Lynda.com