eResources and Databases
A useful print source for tracing journal articles relating to English language and linguistics is the Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature at 420.016 ANN, on the 2nd Floor of the Library. The following databases may be most relevant to aspects of Language & Linguistics Studies.
- Academic Search Complete A wide range of subjects are covered in this database, and it contains full text links to many articles.
- Biomed An abstracting service which covers medicine and health sciences, and is useful in the study of speech disorders and speech therapy. An Athens username and password is required.
- Education Database Access to over 900 top educational publications, including more than 600 of the titles in full text.
is a full text collection of journals. We subscribe to the Arts and
Sciences I, II, III, and Complement, Language & Literature
- MLA (Modern
Languages Association) Indexes of over 6,000 literature and language
journals, as well as books, essay collections, working papers,
proceedings, dissertations, and bibliographies, from 1963 onwards. MLA
will include articles on Business English, and communication generally
- Oxford English Dictionary The 20+ volumes of the 2nd edition, online
- Phrase Thesaurus Useful for journalists, advertising copywriters and anyone looking for that elusive turn of phrase, its origin and meaning
- Project Muse A collection of 384 full text journals from over 70 scholarly publishers. Subject areas include: literature, history, visual & performing arts, cultural studies, education, politics, gender studies, economics and more.
- Proquest Central – This database brings together complete databases across all major subject areas, including business, social sciences, arts and humanities, and education.
- PsycInfo For Linguistics
- Science Direct - is a popular database of over 1500 scientific, technical and medical full-text journals. Excellent as a general resource.
- Social Science Abstracts Abstracts for a wide range of language-related articles from sources such as the ‘Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research’ or ‘Human Communication Research’
- Taylor & Francis Library - journal subscriptions include 50 titles in the Language and Linguistics area.
Other smaller collections, that are based on a single publishers output, are also worth searching. These include
Should you want to undertake a more thorough search for research materials/literature, try searching the following abstract and indexing databases.
- Nexis contains both full text and abstract records of news and business intelligence drawn from over 29,000 sources including local, regional and national newspapers, newsletters, magazines and trade journals, newswires, broadcast transcripts, company news databases, government and legal documents. The files provide in effect a large corpus of language use for students of linguistics. Nexis gives the text of articles only - it does not include photographs or formatting.
Film and Sound Archives
- Alexander Street Video Videos, films, documentaries and training materials in language and linguistic related areas
- Box of Broadcasts - BoB (Box of Broadcasts) National is an innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions.
- FBIS Daily Reports, 1974–1996, is a multidisciplinary resource consisting of translated broadcasts, news agency transmissions, newspapers, periodicals, and government statements from nations around the globe.
LIS subscribes to a range of other electronic resources, which are particularly relevant for business research.
- Mintel Oxygen A full-text database of consumer market research reports. The Library subscribes to the following series : Market, Leisure, Retail, Travel and Tourism, Special Reports Travel and Tourism Analyst, and Country Reports.
- Passport GMID MarketLine offers a comprehensive collection of company, industry and country information, extending across 200+ countries and every major industry sector
- BRAD gives comprehensive and up to date advertising related information on over 13,500 media entries across all media sectors e.g. websites, newspapers and magazines.
- WARC (Word Advertising Research Center)
- Worth Global Style Network (WGSN) – news and information from the fashion and style industries. WGSN includes trend forecasts, analysis of retail sales, company profiles and reports on issues such as visual merchandising.
Our Electronic Resources section provides details of all our online resources and includes an E-Databases A-Z list.