Journals and Articles
If you have a reference for a particular journal article, or if you want to find out if we take a particular journal title, use the Journal Finder.
If the Library does not have the journal article you want, you can request a copy from the Document Supply Service.
The following databases may be useful to aspects of Deaf Studies...
British Education Index - This collection covers aspects of educational policy and administration, evaluation and assessment, technology and special educational needs.
- Child Development & Adolescent Studies - An Indexing and abstracting collection covering literature on the growth and development of children through to the age of 21. Content covers worldwide biomedical and social sciences sources and includes all of the issues of Child Development Abstracts & Bibliography from 1927 to 2001 previously published by the Society for Research in Child Development.
- Cinahl Complete - Links to articles on Deaf Education, sign languages and other related topics.
- Education Abstracts - Features content on a wide array of subject areas including adult education, comparative education, government funding, higher education, school administration and teacher evaluation.
- Education Database -
Coverage spans the literature on primary, secondary and higher education
as well as special education, home schooling and adult education.
- MLA [Modern Languages Association] International Bibliography - Language and Literature database with entries relating to Sign Language and deafness. Journals indexed include ‘Sign Language Studies’, ‘Journal of Hearing & Speech Disorders’, ‘Sign Language Interpreter & Translator’, etc.
- Ovid (Your Journals@Ovid) - Major database for health studies
- ProQuest Central - Covers all major subject areas, including business, health and medical, social sciences, arts and humanities, education, science and technology, and religion.
- PsycINFO - Summaries of journal articles, reports, books and dissertations in psychology and related disciplines, e.g. psycholinguistics Also provides some links to full text articles
- Sage Premier Journals Online
- Social Policy & Practice - Many articles relating to social issues of deafness can be found in this database
Should you want to undertake a more thorough search for research try searching the following abstract and indexing databases.