Copies and Photography
You may need to obtain copies or image of the materials held in the Special Collections. This is possible within certain conditions:
- Unless third party Copyright is extant, copyright in images of materials owned by UCLan LIS Special Collections is retained by UCLan LIS Special Collections but licensed for you under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License regardless of whether we make the copy for you, or you do it yourself with your, or our equipment.
- For UCLAN staff who would like to use images of materials where the copyright is owned by UCLan LIS Special Collections in teaching or as a part of their research, use of the images is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
- Some items may be under third party Copyright where copying and use of the copies these will be restricted by CPDA 1989 legislation and the terms of fair dealing, unless otherwise indicated.
- You may not take materials away from the Special Collections rooms to be photocopied or scanned unless they have been issued to you as Reference. Only UCLan staff and students qualify for Reference loans of Special Collection materials and they may only use the facilities in the Library building.
- A print copy of the Image Request and Copyright Declaration Form must be completed for any images made or requested using Special Collections materials.
Photography in the Special Collections
You are free to use your own equipment to photograph the materials, within the guidelines detailed below:
- Any user wanting to take photographs of the Special Collections material must complete the Image Request and Copyright Declaration Form
- Any photographs taken may only be used for the purposes of private study.
- Where Copyright is owned by UCLan LIS Special Collections you may include copies of the images on a non-commercial website but you must give attribution to UCLan LIS Special Collections and include a link to the website
- For non-commercial and private study there is a general £5 photography fee for external visitors and researchers per visit.
- If you wish to use photographs for any commercial reason, including use in a broadcast, publication or commercial web site, please contact the University Archivist. There will be a charge and possibly restrictions for some materials and purposes.
- UCLan staff and students may take photographs free of charge for private study.
- Please do not submit the materials to any stress while reading or photographing them (i.e. placing a heavy weight to flatten a book). If you are struggling to obtain the image you need please ask the member of staff present. They will be able to help, or we may be able to produce the image for you.
In most cases we will be able to create images for you with the allowances under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1998 and the guidelines detailed below:
- If you require any scans to be made please complete the Image Request and Copyright Declaration Form.
- Any scanned images we make for you may only be used for the purposes of private study.
- Where Copyright is owned by UCLan LIS Special Collections you may include copies of the images on a non-commercial website but you must give attribution to UCLan LIS Special Collections and link to their webpage: www.uclan.ac.uk/students/study/library/special_collections.php
- For scans used in non-commercial and private study there is a general £5 scan fee for external visitors and researchers per visit, this covers a maximum of 10 individual jpegs at 300 dpi. External users may request that the images are saved to a CD and mailed to them.
- UCLan staff and students will be charged at a rate of £0.40p per scanned jpeg at 300dpi, these will be emailed to your UCLan email account (Max size per email 50mb).
- If you wish to use the scans for any commercial reason, including use in a broadcast, publication or commercial website, please contact the University Archivist, via the telephone number or email address below. There will be a charge, and possibly restrictions on use.
- Photocopies will only be made for external visitors on the same basis and at the same rate as scanning detailed above.
- We may be unable to copy or scan certain items for you.
If you have any questions, or your needs are not met by the services detailed above, please call the library customer support and technical services helpdesk on 01772 895355 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.